🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Should I 'fire' this client?
Page options
0cf32b38
Community Member

Should I 'fire' this client?

Hey fellow upworkers,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. New to Upwork and 5 clients in, only 1 contract completed so far and received a lovely 5 star review!

The second client I'm working with is proving rather difficult - very unclear brief, a lot of guesswork to figure out what he wants and less than average pay.

He has funded the final milestone to which I've submitted my work to. He said all my pages were good which is why I submitted them. Almost a week later he's come back and now wants me to double the word count 😂 with little direction on what he wants me to write about. I had figured this project was finished and so lined up some other clients and told him (a little too sassily if I'm honest) that he's just going to have to wait another week then as he already told me the work was good and now he's turned around and changed his mind.

I'm unsure whether I should just cut him loose and refund the money (I really don't want to spend another minute on this assignment) but I fear if I do complete the extra work he wants he will leave me a negative review anyway. As I've only got the one so far I figure this could have a big impact on landing future clients.

What would you do? Bite your tongue and do double the work for no extra pay or cut him loose and move on?
2 REPLIES 2
deborah-ponzio
Community Member

Hello, I am a newbie too and went through a similar dilemma a couple of days ago with my first job here.

I kindly but firmly suggested that I was happy to help with a new piece of work if a new contract was established. My correspondence and reports to client were safely in the system to witness the quality of my work. The client eventually left a 5 star review with no comments, to my relief. In any case, I do not accept to be blackmailed, subtly or not. 😉

a_lipsey
Community Member

Rachael L wrote:
Hey fellow upworkers,

I'm in a bit of a pickle. New to Upwork and 5 clients in, only 1 contract completed so far and received a lovely 5 star review!

The second client I'm working with is proving rather difficult - very unclear brief, a lot of guesswork to figure out what he wants and less than average pay.

He has funded the final milestone to which I've submitted my work to. He said all my pages were good which is why I submitted them. Almost a week later he's come back and now wants me to double the word count 😂 with little direction on what he wants me to write about. I had figured this project was finished and so lined up some other clients and told him (a little too sassily if I'm honest) that he's just going to have to wait another week then as he already told me the work was good and now he's turned around and changed his mind.

I'm unsure whether I should just cut him loose and refund the money (I really don't want to spend another minute on this assignment) but I fear if I do complete the extra work he wants he will leave me a negative review anyway. As I've only got the one so far I figure this could have a big impact on landing future clients.

What would you do? Bite your tongue and do double the work for no extra pay or cut him loose and move on?

What was the initial scope of work in regards to length of the piece? If he's asking you to make it longer, and what you delivered fits the original scope, then ask him to release the current milestone, and quote him a new price to revise the piece to add new content and to be longer. And also tell him what your ETA is on delivery of the revised piece. It may be that he's simply unclear of the process of asking/paying for revisions and you need to educate him. My clients never know how much things cost, so I'm always just explaining very clearly when they ask for a new thing outside the current scope that it will be an additional price. If I like them and they are easy to work with, I give them reasonable pricing, if they are difficult to work with, I jack up the price. It's my difficult client tax, lol. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths