🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Should I go for dispute???
Page options
naeem900
Community Member

Should I go for dispute???

Hi Upwork community this is naeem .I am new in upwork.i contract a project with fixed price of 50$ to copy a website.the client give me reference site and says create a single page website with using any theme .he not give proper content and says just copy there style and functionality with using same content.i create there website first he says he need to do some modifications then he says I need to change the design because first design is not so good however he sign a second contract of 50$ and appreciate our work .he provide a new theme and provide some content to put in website I do that and create new design first he like and appreciate my work and says he need to fine tunning required.i says I can do it and you send me all required modifications which you need , suddenly he says I am not satisfied with your work and report to Upwork then he end the contract and paid 25$ out of 100$ .now they use same structure and funtionality just change some color scheme and request a give back remaining amount .now what I do , should I go with dispute?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

Naeem:
You said that the client ended the contract himself.

That means the client ALREADY left feedback.

If you want to dispute this, and get all of the money that was in escrow, you might as well do so.

He can't give you feedback AGAIN.

The client should have released all money to you.

It was only $100.

He should have paid you what he promised you.

If you REJECT his "request for a refund" the it will block him from simply getting that money back. He will need to come to an agreement with you about how much money he gets back.

For example, you could offer to refund him $15, or zero dollars, whichever he prefers.

If he can't come to an agreement with you, then the only remaining option will be to go to arbitration, and he would need to pay $291 in order to do that. And he would probably lose in the arbitration process. You would also need to pay $291.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

Naeem:
You said that the client ended the contract himself.

That means the client ALREADY left feedback.

If you want to dispute this, and get all of the money that was in escrow, you might as well do so.

He can't give you feedback AGAIN.

The client should have released all money to you.

It was only $100.

He should have paid you what he promised you.

If you REJECT his "request for a refund" the it will block him from simply getting that money back. He will need to come to an agreement with you about how much money he gets back.

For example, you could offer to refund him $15, or zero dollars, whichever he prefers.

If he can't come to an agreement with you, then the only remaining option will be to go to arbitration, and he would need to pay $291 in order to do that. And he would probably lose in the arbitration process. You would also need to pay $291.

Thanks for your response

What is the next step for me ?please elaborate

What is the next step for you?

You basically have 2 options:

a) ACCEPT the refund request, which means you keep $25 out of the $100 that was in escrow. Then this whole thing is over. You get SOME money ($25).

[or]

b) REJECT the refund request. If you REJECT the refund request, then an official Upwork DISPUTE is created. This means the case moves to "mediation."

During mediation, an Upwork employee/representative is a "mediator." He will encourage you (the freelancer) and the client to come to an agreement. But the Upwork mediator will NOT look at the "evidence" and make a decision. The mediator facilitates communication between freelancer and client.

You will receive a message from the mediator, and a way to respond. You can explain to the mediator "I did everything that was asked of me, and the client is simply trying to manipulate the situation to get money back. As a way to move things along, I will agree to a $10 refund. The client should choose between a $10 refund or a zero dollar refund. That is what I am offering."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths