🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Should I share my home address for an emp...
Page options
sarakgarcia
Community Member

Should I share my home address for an employment letter?

I just got offered a freelance assignment. It is a one-time- transcription task. They are asking for my home address and phone number. They want to contact me outside of upwork. Is this normal? Is it appropriate to do it this way? I feel strange giving them all that information for a one-time assignment. It would be different if it was a long-term ongoing project. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Neither is it in line with the rules to initiate contact outside Upwork before a contract is in place.

Shred.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
2a05aa63
Community Member

No, it's not safe to share your home address.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Neither is it in line with the rules to initiate contact outside Upwork before a contract is in place.

Shred.

If you are not yet hired, it is a violation of Upwork TOS to provide your phone number and home address.

After you have been officially hired, you ARE ALLOWED to provide such.

Is it safe?
If you have concerns, then don't provide your prime phone number. Create a special purpose phone number, such as by using Google Voice. It is free to do so.

You don't have to provide your prime home address. You could provide an alternative street address, such as a P.O. box. The address of your business office or work. Or the address of your local post office.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths