Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I submit a W-9 to my client?

Highlighted
Community Leader
Tammara C Member Since: Oct 14, 2016
11 of 18

Jennifer, Do i ask my clients for a W-9 or does Up work send me a W-9 at the end of the year?

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 18

Hi Tammara,

As a freelancer based in the U. S. you complete W-9 form under your Settings> Tax Information. Freelancers who are U.S. Persons and receive over $20,000 with more than 200 transactions through Upwork will receive a form called the Form 1099-K. 

You can find more information about reporting your Upwork income in this article and talk to a local tax adviser to learn more.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Leader
13 of 18

Hi Valeria K and Thank You! So i guess i do not have to report my earnings to the IRS am i correct?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 18

@Tammara C wrote:

Hi Valeria K and Thank You! So i guess i do not have to report my earnings to the IRS am i correct?

OF COURSE you must report your earnings to the IRS. Read this!

Especially:

".... people erroneously believe that if they did not receive a Form 1099, they don't have to report the tax. The IRS, Zinman says, does not care whether you received your Form 1099. If you received untaxed income, you must report it."

Highlighted
Community Leader
15 of 18

Thanks Petra!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 18

@Tammara C wrote:

lol do you really think that's true? Read that statement over again

Highlighted
Community Leader
17 of 18

lol Jennifer did you? Just a joke and i wish!

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Alison E Member Since: Mar 31, 2017
18 of 18

Petra, 

I am glad you added that about it not always being the case that when someone asks for personal info, they are not presumed to be a "scammer".  I just found this thread when a new client asked me to fill out a W-9, as I am new to Upwork and have not encountered this before, I checked here first.  

I informed the client that they would be able to obtain the W-9 through Upwork and the client was super nice about it and said no problem, as she is new to Upwork too and just figuring out how everything works.

Yes, there are scammers out there and it is good to be cautious, but having the attitude that everyone is out to get you will get you nowhere.....most of the clients here are great clients and are ligitimate companies.

A little insight for others, my first few weeks on here I was contacted by those scammers many times.  Then I took the time to read these threads, change up my profile based on the things I read here, and low and behold, I have not had one more scammer contact me since.

They see new people and prey on them, set your profile up to look as if you are experienced and you won't be such an easy target, and you will probably grab the attention of the client's you want to find you! Smiley Happy

Thanks for helping us all!

Alison Evans