🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Should I withdraw my proposal and call it a l...
Page options
jmcastellano
Community Member

Should I withdraw my proposal and call it a loss?

Hello, I had submitted a proposal in a project that I was and still am very much interested in.  The client got back to me and asked that I complete a trial run of what the work would entail and to see what level ability I have in terms of completed the project.  He ended the message with "looking forward to working together."  I completed the first assignment and sent it to him, and he answered that he would be in touch with me shortly.  Well, it's I have not heard from him again, and it's been two weeks.  I even sent a message inquiring about the status of my application.  Nothing.  I would think that this person would let me know either way.  Should I just withdraw my proposal?

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Jennifer,

Asking for free work is a violation of our TOS.
Please click on my name and send me a PM with the client name or the job post title. Our team will investigate the client further and take proper actions. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Jennifer C wrote:

Hello, I had submitted a proposal in a project that I was and still am very much interested in.  The client got back to me and asked that I complete a trial run of what the work would entail and to see what level ability I have in terms of completed the project.  He ended the message with "looking forward to working together."  I completed the first assignment and sent it to him, and he answered that he would be in touch with me shortly.  Well, it's I have not heard from him again, and it's been two weeks.  I even sent a message inquiring about the status of my application.  Nothing.  I would think that this person would let me know either way.  Should I just withdraw my proposal?

It does not matter if you withdraw your proposal or not, your connects will not be returned. You will likely not hear from the client again, as you already delivered the work without having a contract. Don't work for free. 

prestonhunter
Community Member

Jennifer:

I'm sorry about the experience that you had here. Don't take it too personally. Lots of new freelancers make the same mistake.

This client tricked you. The client violated Upwork ToS by asking for free work.

It is important that we all work together - freelancers and all ethical clients - to make sure that this kind of thing does not happen. But mostly, the responsibility is on freelancers to prevent this. By making sure we don't work for free. Making sure we don't work without a contract.

For you to be able to move forward and succeed, It is really important that you stop trying to contact this client. It is important that you no longer want to get paid for that "trial" work by the client who tricked you.

The good thing is that now you know what to do in the future.

Also, the work that you did on behalf of the scammer "client" now belongs to you completely. You may post that work in your portfolio, or sell it, or do anything you want with it. Because the scammer "client" did not pay you for it, the work belongs to you, according to Upwork policy.

2f5ff562
Community Member

Please flag the proposal and report client, i had an experience witha client asking exactly that, to have a sample of the work, i refused to do that and file a complaint to the Upwork support team, and even though the conversation said literally, Quote: ¨You make me a sample of the design, if i don`t like the quality i won`t pay you¨ the support team found nothing wrong about the client, after several emails trying to tell them that it was a violation of the rules they limited to say: i will monitor the client if i incurs on doing that we will do something... very disapointing... but still, let them know.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths