cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signing a contract before an interview? What?

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
11 of 13

Megan F wrote:

On that note, is there a discussion pinned somewhere for others to rate and review profiles? I wanted to ask before I would create a needless thread for the idea. 

There's not a dedicated thread for that but you can ask here. There's also a Writers & Translators board under the Job Skills Discussion tab which is under More at the top of this page. You might be more likely to get fb from editors over there (athough there are several successful, experienced ones who frequent this board, too). Self-promotion is the least palatable task for a lot of us, but it's where we all have to start! Good luck!

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
12 of 13

Megan F wrote:

Oh. See he didn’t phrase it like that. I probably messed up. I took the whole reply by 10 pm today thing to be a massive red flag. He called it a work agreement and told me to sign and return it by the deadline with no additional explanation. I never worked a job where you sign an agreement prior to accepting a job.

It certainly is weird that 100 people should sign a "work agreement" before being hired. Firstly, it is unnecessary because upwork provides a legal framework. Secondly, I don't mind to sign an NDA or any other document that the client thinks he needs (most of them don't), I will sign that elephants are green in Africa if it makes him happy. This stuff is not really enforcable or worth the paper they are printed on. 

Lastly, most likely he was fishing for your personal information for identity theft. They like freelancers to react quickly before somebody reports them and upwork zaps their job posting, or even profile. 

You are a newbie in the US, prime target for scammers. 

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
13 of 13

Hi Megan,

Thanks for posting your question in the Community. I see you already received great tips from other freelancers but I wanted to reiterate that you can flag the job you mentioned and add all the details in the form, as well as screenshots of any communication that took place off-Upwork, so our dedicated team can review and take action if a violation is identified. 

Please check these safety tips, make sure never to pay in order to start working, only accept payment through Upwork, begin working once you have an active contract on your Upwork account and be careful with providing personal information. 

Being new to Upwork, you can find more information about successfully using the platform in the resources we shared here.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS