cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Since I can see the client's name *after* submitting a proposal, why can't I see it before?

Rina K Member Since: May 6, 2019
1 of 11

Hello,

I have been on Upwork for a few days and I have a long way to go to optimize my profile, I know. I need to make 3 or more specialized profiles, I think, as I can do research, data entry, VA work, accounts receivable/billing/collections. I've had a lot of jobs in my life! Right now, my profile only mentions research.

I have no profile views yet. I have submitted two proposals. I searched this forum and found an answer to one question I had--I will not know if a client has read my proposal. That's fine.

Regarding the last proposal I sent, yesterday: it was the client's first posting, so there was no feedback to review. I had no information about the client, so I used a generic salutation. Not the best option, I know. I tried to make it a little warmer by writing "Hello Golden Gater" since the client was based in San Francisco, where I used to live.

Now, after I submitted the proposal, I see the client's name under my submitted proposal. If that information is stored with the job posting, is there a way for me to see it before submitting a proposal?

Thanks,

Rina

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
BEST ANSWER
2 of 11

Rina K wrote:

Hello,

I have been on Upwork for a few days and I have a long way to go to optimize my profile, I know. I need to make 3 or more specialized profiles, I think, as I can do research, data entry, VA work, accounts receivable/billing/collections. I've had a lot of jobs in my life! Right now, my profile only mentions research.

I have no profile views yet. I have submitted two proposals. I searched this forum and found an answer to one question I had--I will not know if a client has read my proposal. That's fine.

Regarding the last proposal I sent, yesterday: it was the client's first posting, so there was no feedback to review. I had no information about the client, so I used a generic salutation. Not the best option, I know. I tried to make it a little warmer by writing "Hello Golden Gater" since the client was based in San Francisco, where I used to live.

Now, after I submitted the proposal, I see the client's name under my submitted proposal. If that information is stored with the job posting, is there a way for me to see it before submitting a proposal?

Thanks,

Rina

No, once you have worked for a client before you can see it in the job listing.

The reason is that tons of freelancers contact the client directly if they have have the chance.

3 of 11
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thank you, Jennifer, for your reply.
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
4 of 11

Hi, Rina.

I've been using Upwork and its predecessor sites for a few years. I rarely do work for the same client more than once and I never address a new job proposal to a particular name unless the client has sent me an invitation that includes their name.

I do change the content of each proposal to customize it for any specifics they mention in their Upwork ad.

5 of 11
Hi, Will,

Yes, I have customized the proposals I sent to match the postings and make it clear that I read them thoroughly.

I have another question for you: when you do not know the client's name, do you omit the salutation completely and just start with the first line of your proposal? Thanks!
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
6 of 11
Yes, I omit the salutation completely in that case.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
7 of 11

Rina K wrote:
I have another question for you: when you do not know the client's name, do you omit the salutation completely and just start with the first line of your proposal? Thanks!

I usually take my cues from the client. If their proposal gets straight to the point and sounds businesslike and no-nonsense, then I respond in kind (no salutation). If they sound more chatty and informal, then I usually do start out with a "Hello". In the latter case, I see nothing wrong with saying "Hello Golden Gater" - if I were the client, I would appreciate the personal touch. 

Highlighted
8 of 11
Thank you, Christine, and Will. That is very useful feedback.
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 11

That greeting thing is a big mistake anyway. The client only sees the first two lines of your proposal before deciding which ones to open and review. It's generally best to get a hook into those first couple of lines rather than wasting it with a "Dear so and so" or polite greeting.

10 of 11

Thanks, Tiffany--that's a good tip.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS