🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Since I can see the client's name *after*...
Page options
rinakor
Community Member

Since I can see the client's name *after* submitting a proposal, why can't I see it before?

Hello,

I have been on Upwork for a few days and I have a long way to go to optimize my profile, I know. I need to make 3 or more specialized profiles, I think, as I can do research, data entry, VA work, accounts receivable/billing/collections. I've had a lot of jobs in my life! Right now, my profile only mentions research.

I have no profile views yet. I have submitted two proposals. I searched this forum and found an answer to one question I had--I will not know if a client has read my proposal. That's fine.

Regarding the last proposal I sent, yesterday: it was the client's first posting, so there was no feedback to review. I had no information about the client, so I used a generic salutation. Not the best option, I know. I tried to make it a little warmer by writing "Hello Golden Gater" since the client was based in San Francisco, where I used to live.

Now, after I submitted the proposal, I see the client's name under my submitted proposal. If that information is stored with the job posting, is there a way for me to see it before submitting a proposal?

Thanks,

Rina

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jr-translation
Community Member

Rina K wrote:

Hello,

I have been on Upwork for a few days and I have a long way to go to optimize my profile, I know. I need to make 3 or more specialized profiles, I think, as I can do research, data entry, VA work, accounts receivable/billing/collections. I've had a lot of jobs in my life! Right now, my profile only mentions research.

I have no profile views yet. I have submitted two proposals. I searched this forum and found an answer to one question I had--I will not know if a client has read my proposal. That's fine.

Regarding the last proposal I sent, yesterday: it was the client's first posting, so there was no feedback to review. I had no information about the client, so I used a generic salutation. Not the best option, I know. I tried to make it a little warmer by writing "Hello Golden Gater" since the client was based in San Francisco, where I used to live.

Now, after I submitted the proposal, I see the client's name under my submitted proposal. If that information is stored with the job posting, is there a way for me to see it before submitting a proposal?

Thanks,

Rina

No, once you have worked for a client before you can see it in the job listing.

The reason is that tons of freelancers contact the client directly if they have have the chance.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
jr-translation
Community Member

Rina K wrote:

Hello,

Thanks,

Rina

No, once you have worked for a client before you can see it in the job listing.

The reason is that tons of freelancers contact the client directly if they have have the chance.

Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thank you, Jennifer, for your reply.
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Hi, Rina.

I've been using Upwork and its predecessor sites for a few years. I rarely do work for the same client more than once and I never address a new job proposal to a particular name unless the client has sent me an invitation that includes their name.

I do change the content of each proposal to customize it for any specifics they mention in their Upwork ad.

Hi, Will,

Yes, I have customized the proposals I sent to match the postings and make it clear that I read them thoroughly.

I have another question for you: when you do not know the client's name, do you omit the salutation completely and just start with the first line of your proposal? Thanks!

Yes, I omit the salutation completely in that case.

Rina K wrote:
I have another question for you: when you do not know the client's name, do you omit the salutation completely and just start with the first line of your proposal? Thanks!

I usually take my cues from the client. If their proposal gets straight to the point and sounds businesslike and no-nonsense, then I respond in kind (no salutation). If they sound more chatty and informal, then I usually do start out with a "Hello". In the latter case, I see nothing wrong with saying "Hello Golden Gater" - if I were the client, I would appreciate the personal touch. 

Thank you, Christine, and Will. That is very useful feedback.
tlsanders
Community Member

That greeting thing is a big mistake anyway. The client only sees the first two lines of your proposal before deciding which ones to open and review. It's generally best to get a hook into those first couple of lines rather than wasting it with a "Dear so and so" or polite greeting.

Thanks, Tiffany--that's a good tip.

Tiffany S wrote:

That greeting thing is a big mistake anyway. The client only sees the first two lines of your proposal before deciding which ones to open and review. It's generally best to get a hook into those first couple of lines rather than wasting it with a "Dear so and so" or polite greeting.

Hi Tiffany. What do you do if the client asks additional questions? I believe in that case your answer to the first question appears first, and I assume that means the two-line hook is based on your first answer, and not on your cover letter.

I try to make the first two lines of my answer into a good hook, but it can be difficult to do that AND answer the question at the same time. Any thoughts?

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths