🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Site "rules" and "verification" processes...
Page options
yveh
Community Member

Site "rules" and "verification" processes...

Is Upwork having a surge in fraudulent profiles or are they just trying to get as much information as possible so they can sell it Facebook style? There is LITERALLY no reason for so much red tape for so little payoff. 

3 REPLIES 3
yitwail
Community Member

I think you're being a bit paranoid. If verification was a scheme to sell personal data, they wouldn't bother with the time-wasting, and possibly costly procedure of video verification.

Yvette H wrote:

Is Upwork having a surge in fraudulent profiles

Yes, they (and the honest freelancers on the site) are sick of people with fake profiles, photos stolen from the Internet and all the other dishonest stuff on too many profiles ...

Yvette H wrote:

There is LITERALLY no reason for so much red tape for so little payoff. 

You never made a single Dollar in the over 2 years you've been here, so no, totally not worth it for you (not that you'd pass verification anyway...)

I LIKE the additional verification that Upwork is doing.

I think it makes the platform more professional, more appealing to clients, and more profitable for me.

I believe I have been "subjected" to all forms of Upwork identification by now (including video verification and ID uploading).

None of it was a big deal.

I believe there is NOTHING WRONG with wanting to be able to work anonymously, use pseudonyms or "handles" instead of real names, use avatars or Internet-sourced photos instead a real photo of oneself. But those are things one needs to do on other platforms - platforms that allow or cater to such as that.

Upwork isn't the place for that.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths