🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Skills that could improve my job prospect...
Page options
davison668
Community Member

Skills that could improve my job prospects as a Freelance Editor

Thank you for taking the time to consider my query ...

I am a Freelance Fiction Editor - developmental editing, proofreading, editing for flow of text - and was wondering if anyone had an idea as to what skills and/or qualifications I could develop that would increase my chances of landing an Editing job on UpWork ....

Jonathan Herring

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

I don't know about skills, but I would recommend cutting everything on your profile before "I specialize..."  Clients can read your reviews, and they already know your name. They don't care where you got your degree. They care what you will do for them. 

What skills do you feel you are lacking in? We haven't seen your work, so we can't advise you on what to study. Maybe look at your clients' feedback that has been less than stellar and brush up on those skills that were lacking? Seems like a good starting point. 

Good luck!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
a_lipsey
Community Member

I don't know about skills, but I would recommend cutting everything on your profile before "I specialize..."  Clients can read your reviews, and they already know your name. They don't care where you got your degree. They care what you will do for them. 

What skills do you feel you are lacking in? We haven't seen your work, so we can't advise you on what to study. Maybe look at your clients' feedback that has been less than stellar and brush up on those skills that were lacking? Seems like a good starting point. 

Good luck!

Thanks loads, great advice and certainly not something I would have seen myself,

Much appreciated,

Jonathan Herring

Amanda,

Many thanks for such a helpful answer, much appreciated.

Jonathan Herring

Thank you Amanda, I have taken your advice and just realized that I may not have replied to your very kind and considerate advice.

Many thanks,

Jonathan Herring

Not sure if I commented on how helpful your advice was. I've taken your advice and my profile is now much improved.

Many thanks,

Jonathan Herring

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths