🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Skype , Email id and Phone number
Page options
bharadhan94
Community Member

Skype , Email id and Phone number

The client is asking for me to share the email id , skype id and phone number at the time of submitting proposal and during interview and after job offer. What should I do I am confused.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Bharadhan,

Thanks for your message. It's okay to use Skype in communicating with your clients as long as the hiring process and payment must be done on Upwork platform. Hope this helps.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Bharadhan,

Thanks for your message. It's okay to use Skype in communicating with your clients as long as the hiring process and payment must be done on Upwork platform. Hope this helps.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

I always communicate with my clients via email and save the emails just in case something goes wrong.  When I submit my work, I do it through email and also through Upwork.

arafat204
Community Member

Sharing contact information on freelancer profiles and job postings is not allowed. It is okay to exchange contact information in private messages. However, upwork recommend documenting the main terms, deadlines, milestones and file submissions in Upwork Messages for record purposes.

Upwork don't think it is a good idea to provide an email address to a client prior to being hired, because any questions a potential client has for you that he wants to ask via email can be asked via the Upwork message system.

After being hired, some clients prefer to use email. If they are a legitimate, trustworthy client, that is fine. It is certainly not against Upwork policy.

Md Arafat
bharadhan94
Community Member

some clients are asking for discussing about project in skype during interview is it allowed in upwork

@bharadhan V wrote:
some clients are asking for discussing about project in skype during interview is it allowed in upwork

Yes, but hiring and payment has to be through Upwork.

bharadhan94
Community Member

re: "Some clients are asking for discussing about project in Skype during interviews. Is it allowed in Upwork?"

Yes. It is allowed.

There are no rules against this.

Upwork allows clients and freelancers to discuss a project prior to starting a contract (during the interview stage) using Skype, or using any other communication method.

But INDIVIDUAL FREELANCERS my have their own personal rules and preferences.

Some freelancers will only use Skype with clients AFTER a contract is in place.

It's up to you.

As a practical matter, scammers RARELY using actual voice or video calls (such as with Skype). Usually scammers use communication methods that allow them to mask their true identity, such as Google Hangouts chat.

If a potential client wants to do a voice call or video call with you via Skype, this is probably a serious client.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths