🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Skype Interview, scam?
Page options
milano27
Community Member

Skype Interview, scam?

Hello,

I am new to Upwork.  I submitted a proposal to a job posting and received a message from the client asking for an interview time.  They asked me to interview on skype and it is set for tomorrow.  I did not know prior to their message that all communication was be done on Upwork.  Is this a scam?  The client  has the Upwork Plus Client badge.  This was the job **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

Also the reason i looked into scams on Upwork was because i found a similar job posting from the same location **Edited for Community Guidelines**.  The decsription is the same but the title has changed a little.

Is someone able to verify if this is a scam?

Thank you,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
a_lipsey
Community Member

I am not sure if those are scams, but you  are not allowed to contact the client outside of Upwork until there is a contract. So tell them you need to do it through Upwork's call system and see what they say. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
a_lipsey
Community Member

I am not sure if those are scams, but you  are not allowed to contact the client outside of Upwork until there is a contract. So tell them you need to do it through Upwork's call system and see what they say. 

Thank you for the suggestion.  I have reached out to them and asked to do all of our communication on Upwork.  If i don't hear back from them any more how do i get my connects back? 

I have opened up a support ticket in regards to this, but i have not received even a confirmation email saying the ticket has been opened.  I guess ill just wait for now.  

Thanks again,

Hi Milan,

Connects are returned to the freelancer if a project is closed by the client without making a hire and if a job post has been removed by Upwork for a Terms of Service violation.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork

re: "I have reached out to them and asked to do all of our communication on Upwork."

You do not need to do all your communication through Upwork. That rule only applies to communicating with clients BEFORE a contract is in place. Once an Upwork contract has started, you may communicate through Skype or any other method.

Upwork Plus means only that they paid more for certain benefits.  It does not in any way imply that they are not scammers.

Or they tried the 30-Day Free Trial version to look like they are legit

Natalja Z wrote:

Or they tried the 30-Day Free Trial version to look like they are legit

+ 1000

That is an excellent point! 

1a792ec3
Community Member

I have come across the same company several times. Each posting has been a bit different in its responsibilities, qualifications, terms and even pay rates. Just today I had someone start the interview process & I let him know that I had already talked to someone from **Edited for Community Guidelines** who had asked me to do a Skype interview, which I was not able to complete. He dropped off line immediately. I also noticed that he identified as "in the United States" but the time stamp for his location was clearly NOT in the US.

1. They are not actually from whatever company they claim to represent. 2. You are not allowed to be interviewed by clients off of Upwork. You were violating the terms of service as soon as you talked to a scammer on Skype. 

Well, you found the secret code how to scare away scammers. You refuse to do skype (because upwork does not allow it). Next time, you will waste even less time with the scammer. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths