🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Skype test
Page options
maryxtie
Community Member

Skype test

Hello
I got an invite for a skype interview from a client for trancription post. So I signed up on the app and we started to talk, then he asked me to transcribe the 1st 5 minute of a recording as a test. Is this OK?
3 REPLIES 3
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mary Christie, 

I haven't checked your account yet, but I wanted to confirm if the client setup a contract for this test work? Please know that requesting for free test work is a violation of the Upwork User Agreement.

Since you are new here, I would recommend that you read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs and the freelancer resources for more information about working safely through Upwork

~ Avery
Upwork
maryxtie
Community Member

Hi Avery,

There was no contract set up yet. I got suspicious so I haven't taken the test and I thought of posting here first. I will read through the link you provided.

Thank you.
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "...then he asked me to transcribe the 1st 5 minute of a recording as a test. Is this OK?"

No, it is not okay.

The client is violating Upwork's rule that prohibits clients from asking freelancers to do free work.

Try going to a nice restaurant and asking them if they will serve you a meal and let you eat for 5 minutes as a test. If you like the food, you will continue eating it and pay for it, but if you don't like the food, you get it for free. See if the restaurant thinks that is okay.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths