🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Skype
Page options
margo-813
Community Member

I am asked to do an interview via Skype. With all the scams on all the job sites atm I'm worried about that. Am I ever aloud to talk with the Cient that way yet. Any advice would me most helpful 

5 REPLIES 5
colettelewis
Community Member

You are only allowed to talk to clients through Skype and other channels after you have been hired. However Upwork has many ways of communicating with a client before you are hired, you and your potential client should use one of these. 

If your client insists, then it is a scam and you should report it.  If you ignore Upwork's ToS, you are likely to have your account suspended. 

Thank you Nichola!

What's happen In case the client wants to do a call or video interview?

I have them a lot because the type of projects I usually work on, requires to share screen, sometimes from me to provide some examples and proof of my skills and projects, and sometimes because the client won't share his source files until a contract was started but need/want to get sure I'm good at it. 

Sebastian R wrote:

Thank you Nichola!

I have them a lot because the type of projects I usually work on, requires to share screen, sometimes from me to provide some examples and proof of my skills and projects, and sometimes because the client won't share his source files until a contract was started but need/want to get sure I'm good at it. 

Use upwork for that. 

Sebastian R wrote:

Thank you Nichola!

Sebastian,

If you accept an interview invitation, a message room is  created and you will see your potential client's name or business at the top of the page and to the right of the page you will see a phone icon. If you click on that you will see that you have the opportunity to chat or to have a Zoom conversation with the client.  Otherwise you can simply reply to them by writing from the message room.  

If the client hires you you will get an official Upwork contract from the client  stating the terms you have agreed with the client, and if  you accept the contract then your work with that client starts. 

After your contract starts, you can then communicate with your client anyway you like, but it is usually advisable to keep most communication on the platform. 

If a client suggests any other form of payment outside Upwork, or demands that you communicate outside Upwork before you are hired, then they are violating Upwork's terms of service. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Margaret H wrote:

I am asked to do an interview via Skype. With all the scams on all the job sites atm I'm worried about that. Am I ever aloud to talk with the Cient that way yet. Any advice would me most helpful 

Margaret, no offense, but your profile needs some serious work. You are a magnet for scammers if you don't improve it. 

In order to be safe, read and adhere to the ToS, then you are perfectly safe on the platform. Disregard unsolicited invitations, and any answer to proposals you might get at this point. Work on your profile first. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths