🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Slow status update during proposal
Page options
devajithvs
Community Member

Slow status update during proposal

As a new freelancer, you have to price low and work hard. So to gain an edge over other proposals, I completed 2 scraping jobs before proposing. So that I can submit my sample scraped data with the proposal. But the slow status update ruined everything. I started both the work about one hour after the job was listed listed and finished within 2 hourse. Then I made a proposal along with the sample data for both the jobs. But after a few hours I understood that the client (s) hired another freelancer by the time I started doing the project. That wasn't updated here even one hour after I submitted the proposal. The client(s) didn't even see my proposal. I feel very bad doing the project for nothing. I literally wasted my time where I could have done something else that was productive.

I am not even recognized for my project. I hope atleast you guys will check out my code and suggest improvements(if any). I am uploading those wasted efforts **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Anyone is free to use my code.(even the person currently hired for those work, atleast their work will be easier). It is very depressing to work here for a new freelancer. I dont think upwork want new freelancers to come up. I wont lose hope, I will still try to win projects, hoping that I would be hired before my proposals run out. Thanks for reading, I needed a platform to express my feelings. Feeling better now.

4 REPLIES 4
robin_hyman
Community Member

You have no jobs on your profile so I assume you were trying to give the client free work.  NEVER do that.  The clients who ask are not the clients you will want to work for - low budget, high ask and may try to dispute all the hard work you do.  Plus, they are violating Upwork terms of service (ToS).  Please flag these clients so Upwork can suspend them.

Now to address how you get work.  First, your profile has to stand out.  Do a search for others in your field and see how they market themselves.  Pay special attention to top rated freelancers who have been on the platform for some time.  Make sure you don't copy as again that is a violation of Upwork's ToS.  The first two lines are what a client sees in a search so make sure they catch the reader's attention.  Second, make sure you're sending customized proposals.  Read the job description carefully and call out word-for-word how you can address the client's needs.  

Some pointers on how I apply for jobs.  They must have:

* Hire rate > 50%

* Proposals < 10

* Good freelancer feedback (unless they are new to the platform)

* Good client provided feedback (unless they are new to the platform)

Hope this helps you get a better start freelancing!

patanwala_husain
Community Member

Devajith never work for free! Always remeber that someday i was also new here so don't lose hope just keep trying... And showcase your work in portfolio. Build strong profile. Write winning proposals. Your proposal shouldn't be long. Just keep it short and never copy paste proposals.

Yes, it's frustrating that Upwork's information is often out of date. I've seen jobs where someone (sometimes me) was hired and then it took 24 hours or more for the job post to show the hire.

I'm afraid you just have to adapt to it if you want to succeed on Upwork. Good luck!

Devajith, you should change your approach to sending proposals. While you spend hours scraping, other freelancers can just send proposals without scraping and the client could choose one of them before they ever see your proposal. Find another way to gain an edge, without doing hours of free work.

Learning Paths