🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Social Media Reviews
Page options
anitajshah
Community Member

Social Media Reviews

I was contacted and offered the opportunity to be paid to post positive reviews about companies.  An easy job of 250 words or less, with the promise of being paid and the client boosting my Upwork rating.  I turned it down.  This is the 2nd job of this type I have been offered.  I was just wondering how people feel about this.  I offered to legitimately review the companies and then write a review, but that didn't fly.  This just feels dirty so I said no.  Is this the norm here?

7 REPLIES 7
yitwail
Community Member

Anita, I commend you for declining the job. It's the norm for some clients that everything is permissible unless they get caught, and even if they get caught, chances are the freelancer will be held accountable, not the client. While it's nice to be invited, when the invitation or offer comes from a complete stranger, it's wise to be skeptical.

@Anita S wrote:

I was contacted and offered the opportunity to be paid to post positive reviews about companies.  An easy job of 250 words or less, with the promise of being paid and the client boosting my Upwork rating.  I turned it down.  This is the 2nd job of this type I have been offered.  I was just wondering how people feel about this.  I offered to legitimately review the companies and then write a review, but that didn't fly.  This just feels dirty so I said no.  Is this the norm here?

I consider posting reviews, whether it be about companies, services or products without actually using them is FRAUD and DECEPTION. 

Please flag this client and hopfully, Upwork will suspend their account. 

I have flagged it.  This is the 2nd one in a month.  Upwork might cancel their accounts, but they just seem to sign up again.

ilyas2010
Community Member

Anita, its very nice that you are very honarable and of great integrity. 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

@Anita S wrote:

It is not the norm. It is something that a cheap client might offer, because they want to get you to work for very little money plus a good feedback. That is not how it's supposed to work, feedback should be honest from both sides. 

A serious client will never promise a good feedback upfront, because they don't know the quality of what you will deliver, before you actually do. 

sergio-soria
Community Member

Good you flagged it and declined the offer. These people without any morals target new freelancers who are craving for work. It looks like nowadays there is a new job title called "Fraudulent Reviewer" Cat LOL 

As a note:  It is against the Upwork terms of service to post a job that would go against another platform's terms of service (i.e Amazon reviews, etc.).  On the face of it, this job could well qualify.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths