Community Member

Solved

Solved

17 REPLIES 17
petra_r
Community Member

@Christopher Priess K wrote:

Is there anyway Upwork can make an exception and feature my account s

Seriously? Should exceptions be made for all the other MILLIONS of freelancers who all no doubt believe they're really special?

The way to get featured is to win contracts, complete them perfectly, get great feedback, get a Job Success Score over 90%, keep that for 16 weeks, get top rated, and then hope you'll get picked.

There is no shortcut and there should not be one.

2e931e75
Community Member

Hi Petra,

Thank you for sharing your mind.

I am doing this to help people therefore I am asking for this exception. It has nothing to do with me.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Thank you,

Hi Petra,

I am doing this to help people therefore I am asking for this exception. It has nothing to do with me.

I am willing to provide consulting for as little as $1/hr and you are welcome to hire me for consulting services if you'd like.

Thank you,

Hi Petra,

I am willing to provide consulting for as little as $1/hr and you are welcome to hire me for consulting services if you'd like.

Thank you,

Bleeding heart for some but not for others eh? Even Upwork has a base rate of $3.00 per hour (for clients). It is not a company reputed for touchy feely, charity efforts. Though I have to add that it is not against the rules and regs for freelancers to offer free work - so you're quids in.

Hi Nichola,

I agree and I definitely expected some of this to happen.

It is totally fine though!

Best of luck!

Chris Kelsey

Christopher - listen to Valeria. If you want to offer free work - go ahead. But it won't do your Upwork cred any good. If you want to offer services at $300 per hour, go ahead, but most clients will not go for graduates from "Dropout College" - with no verifiable experience except dropping out. Time for a reality check?

mthornton-cpc
Community Member

Asking for ways to be a digital line-cutter is not cool. Or smart. Or professional. 

Asking if there are experienced, successful freelancers who have tips on how to win great contracts is cool. And smart. And professional. 

But, getting answers from them after the initial attempt at line-cutting is unlikely. 

ETA: Your tech is fascinating and the construction industry is poised to be a massive consumer of 3D printing methods. Congrats on capitalizing on it. A book called Soonish by Kelly and Zach Weinersmith has an entire section on 3D printing in the construction space. It's as well-written and entertaining as it is informative. You may like it (or already know about it). 

Hi Melissa,

Thank you. I am going to read the book.

Best!

voskerchian
Community Member

No, there is no way to be unfair to millions of freelancers who went through their long and not easy path to win the TR badge, or to those who are on the way.
Just put yourself in the shoes of the rest of us before asking something.

Hi Hasmik,

I appreciate your response greatly and I understand your point of view.

The reason I am asking is due to the fact that I am doing this to help people on a deep level.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Best,

kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Christopher Priess,

There are certain criteria used to select freelancers featured on Upwork pages. We won't be able to share the exact criteria but having a stellar profile and a good Job Success Score are important factors.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Christopher, you're an entrepreneurial prodigy. According to an interview I read, you, or perhaps a proxy working on your behalf, have hired app developers from Upwork when it was known as oDesk. If you *were* a client previously, I'm not sure you're allowed to become a freelancer -- to be both, the normal approach is to create a freelancer account, then add a company to it. On the other hand, you would probably have been too young then to create a freelancer account, so maybe there's an exception for such cases. Either way, I would think you have some familiarity with how Upwork is set up, so for new freelancers starting out, the selling point has to be their profile -- skills, experience, portfolio, applicable test results, education, etc. -- and if they're lucky, Upwork will hand out a Rising Talent badge, but to get it, there are some prerequisites you have to meet, as outlined here:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063228-Become-a-Rising-Talent?flash_digest=dbece1dfd...

Chris, being named one of 'Forbes 30 under 30' is, indeed, a great achievement. Congrats.

But, countering that with "I dropped out of high school with (only) 6 months to go" is not a particularly smart move. On paper, it makes you look like a quitter and it's not a good look. And doesn't scream consulting whizzkid either, which is tricky a best coming from a 20-year-old.

So, unless you follow that up with "because I was so busy setting up my hugely successful company" or similar, I would get rid if this bit and rethink your profile/hourly rate.

Hi Ela,

I am not doing this for the money although it is nice.

I am doing this to help people and I am willing to do it for as little as $3/hr (originally I said $1/hr but apparently the minimum is $3/hr for Upwork).

My hourly is $300 because it is the standard I set, I will lower it as a test to see if that changes anything.

Thank you,

2e931e75
Community Member

Hi John,

Thanks for the advice and compliment, checking out the link now.

I did have a different Upwork account when I hired talent on Upwork ;).

Best,

Thanks for the feedback Valeria!

Best,

re: "I am not doing this for the money although it is nice. I am doing this to help people."

You have apparently been misinformed regarding Upwork's purpose.

Upwork encourages you to do a great job on behalf of your clients. But it is not Upwork's purpose to facilitate volunteer work or charity. Upwork's purpose is to connect freelancers with clients and faciliate their working together.

Thank you Preston I had no idea that Upwork is not a charity or volunteering place.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths