» Forums » New to Upwork » Solved
Page options
344b98f1
Community Member

Solved

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
madison-russell
Community Member

The freelancer will get paid for the work that he has done, has been submitted, and that you approved. So if he submitted work for a milestone and you approved it, that money won't refund back to you. I'd recommend talking to the freelancer before cancelling the contract, and discussing the issues that you have with him. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
madison-russell
Community Member

The freelancer will get paid for the work that he has done, has been submitted, and that you approved. So if he submitted work for a milestone and you approved it, that money won't refund back to you. I'd recommend talking to the freelancer before cancelling the contract, and discussing the issues that you have with him. 

Even if the freelancer hasn't yet completed a milestone and submitted work, he's entitled to be paid for any work he's done already. If you cancel the job and ask for a full refund of escrow, he could dispute the refund. I think he's unlikely to do so if the amount of work was small, but I would suggest offering him a small payment for his time.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Dylan:

If you don't like this freelancer's work, or how he communicates, or anything at all, you should seriously consider ending things as soon as possible.

It doesn't sound like you have confidence in him. Your feelings may be well justified.

Have you seen any of his actual work?

Have you had anybody else review his work?

One option you have is to close the contract right now, and simply release payment, and block him from communicating with you. There's nothing he can do about it if you do that!

If you want to get some of your $300 back, you'll need to talk to him. Make him an offer. He might surprise you at how open he is to the idea of ending the contract early and refunding a lot of your money back to you. You could tell him:

"Jerry: I really appreciate what you have done for us, but we have decided to go a different direction. I want to reward you for your work, though. The last time we talked, you said you were one-third of the way done. Would you be willing to let me release $100 to you immediately, and I'll close the contract. You won't need to do anything else on this."

re: "My question is : if i tell him that i'm cancelling the contract & do it , i will get back the 300$ or he will get a part of if even if he only worked a little ?"

Just to be clear:

You can cancel the contract WITH OR WITHOUT telling him, entirely on your own, as long as you release all the money to him.

You can not get a refund of any milestone you have funded - not even one dollar - unless the freelancer agrees to it.

Me, personally: I have never had a fixed-price job where I wouldn't agree to refund money for any work not yet done. I think most freelancers are like me in that regard, but not all are. Officially, a freelancer does not need to agree to any refund, regardless of how much work he has done.

@Preston H wrote:

You can not get a refund of any milestone you have funded - not even one dollar - unless the freelancer agrees to it.

That's not correct. If a dispute is raised and no agreement can be reached, then all the money in escrow will be refunded to the client UNLESS the freelancer pays for arbitration. If he pays for arbitration and the client doesn't, then the freelancer will receive all the money in escrow and a refund of his arbitration fee. If both parties pay for arbitration, an arbitrator will be hired to decide how to divide the escrow.

344b98f1
Community Member

Sharing your sprites on the Internet to get revenge?

I really don't think that is likely. I think he just wants your money.

And any possibility of him posting your sprites is the least of your worries. The quality and success of your project is what you should be focused on.

Do you plan to continue working with someone who is incompetent and can not provide you with what you need in order to avoid the "revenge posting" scenario?

@Preston H 

I'm taking this as a life lesson.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to learn about your experience, Dylan. 

When you close a contract with money in escrow, you will need to ask the freelancer for a refund. The freelancer can respond to it, or decline to refund the funded escrow. You may want to read more about it here for more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
344b98f1
Community Member

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths