cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Jobs?

Brandy J Member Since: Sep 5, 2017
1 of 17

I'm new to Upwork but I've quickly noticed a lot of job postings that say the job(s) was/(were) posted from a mobile  device, and to please excuse the type-0's....

I am happy for a free membership and it's number of connects because I'm on more than one website; but HOW can you allow SPAMMERS to post what looks like FAKE opportunities BUT we are uploading our personal identification and tax filing information DOES NOT seem very secure. or trustworthy.  

This site had some of the best reviews for freelance, but I was wondering has anyone else noticed this or been a victim of a job scam on this site?  

Thanks!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 17

Hi Brandy,

While we have processes for automatic and manual reviewing of jobs that are posted on the marketplace, unfortunately some jobs that violate ToS slip through. In such cases we do rely on our users to flag posting or messages for violation. 

Check out this post for more tips on how to avoid questionable jobs.

"Job was posted from a mobile device" phrase is added automatically if the client used mobile version of the site to post the job to inform freelancer who may be interested in it.

~ Valeria
Untitled
3 of 17

Do they all include the part about the type-o when instering "Job was posted from a mobile device" phrase?  That would make sense, many times I've sent or recieved emails on my cell that says sent from my...device, so I'm curious and intrigued :-)  Thank you for responding, very helpful!  

4 of 17

Yes, Brandy, that whole phrase is included automatically.

~ Valeria
Untitled
5 of 17

Thank you for clarification!  

I had a client request me to Skype an interview; I declined thinking it is prohibited to contact outside of Upwork; any point in the right direction with this one?  It may also be helpful to others using the service/system.  

6 of 17

Brandy,

It's not against the ToS to communicate outside of Upwork. We do recommend recording main points, terms and deadlines in Upwork Messages in case any issues arise.

All the payments have to be made on Upwork between you and the client you met on the platform, so please make sure you and your client create a contract before you start working.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Lauren C Member Since: Aug 13, 2018
7 of 17

JUSt saw your answer AFTER I posted the same question - it was starting to look fishy! thanks for explaining!

Community Guru
Prashant P Member Since: Sep 29, 2015
8 of 17

Brandy wrote," BUT we are uploading our personal identification and tax filing information DOES NOT seem very secure. or trustworthy. "

I don't recall uploading any such thing.  I think all they see is what is in your profile.  Am I missing something?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 17

Hi Prashant, 

This requirement is for U.S. freelancers only, and is not required of freelancers outside the U.S. For non-U.S. tax payers, they were asked to fill in a W8-BEN form on their profile. 

-Avery
Untitled
BEST ANSWER
10 of 17
For location verification I was required to upload my i.d. As an independemt contractor, to recieve payments, a w-9 has to be completed to my knowledge; as I completed one.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS