cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Jobs?

Brandy J Member Since: Sep 5, 2017
11 of 17

Since I've been on Upwork this last month, I understand it might take a short time to find a freelance opportunity; but the amount of scams and spam has me at my wits end, and wondering if this will actually go any farther. 

I responded to a message from a client that I submitted a proposal to; the message was regarding my availability.  I messaged them in return within an hour of receiving the inquiry.  I have not been responded to yet and we're going on over a week now.  I was available, and I responded (what I thought was)  quickly; it may not be a scammer but a very unresponsive client leading to false hope.  I have continued to submit proposals (careful to save my connects, and investigate before using them) to no avail with not even a "No thanks" or "We have filled the contract"; leading me to wonder if these are even real clients. 

The latest is regarding request for interview where they want me to send a resume; didn't they read my bio?  Why do I have to apply if they reached out to me and/or say that I already qualify for the job? Iunderstand some red tape, but not jumping through hoops, or I'd work for the circus and make it a ring of fire.  

I was contacted by a client for a sales assitiant position, and they said I qualify, after reviewing my profile; but they asked me to apply for the job and send a resume.  I read the job description, and inquired regarding the position duties; I received vague answers and monetary offer. 

I was asked to work for 2-3 hours a day to complete assignments with deadlines, for a salary of $350 a week.  I was told that they "wouldn't be tracking my time"; I will track my time, and based on the info they provided, it was far less compensation than the rate on my profile and proposal. 

I inquired in response before accepting to speak via google hangouts about the difference in rate, and the message stopped there.  I asked " if you are going to be providing assignments, and deadlines, we would need to work out an assignment to assignment price; a flat fee per assignment. I would need more detail if this is something that you can do then we may be able to talk."  

As of yet, there is no response; leading me to wonder if they were scammers and I caught them?  I may never know :-)  LOL  

Community Guru
Randy S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
12 of 17

I don't ever take negotiations or "interviews' off-site. Once I have the contract and the payment is verified, I'll talk to them anywhere they like. 

Spammers can get in anywhere, and Upwork does a pretty good job getting rid of them as they're notified. Take it for granted that you are part of your own security. If you see a spammer, report them. 

And as for banking info, clients do NOT have access to that information, and you should never give it to them. That's what's upwork payment is for. They pay upwork. Upwork has your bank info to pay you. That's about as secure as you can ask for. 

Erica Ilene R Member Since: Jan 4, 2018
13 of 17

Hey Brandy,

Im not sure if you are still on here or not, but this seems like the plague on here. My account is about 3 weeks old and I havent landed any real jobs yet. So far I have been hit by 3 different scammers, and to my surprise, one of them is actually a repeat client on here who thought I was vulnerable because I am new. 

The scammers are out here badly and its like there is no filter on it. I am getting ready to give this up. 3 scams in less than a week! 

14 of 17
I have been on here about 6 months. I have submitted many proposals, ran into one scammer, and have not yet received any work from Upwork clients. I have in the meantime obtained my own freelance opportunities on LinkedIn thru
self advertising. I had considered paying for site services through Upwork, but wondered about the monetary risk; who wants to pay to be scammed?
Lauren C Member Since: Aug 13, 2018
15 of 17

I was JUST going to post the same thing.... this is what I thought, too!!!! I wrote in the FEEDBACK area of the website, but not sure if they'll respond or know about if its real or not.

"........Hello Upwork,
Recently Im noticing with the categories I check ( photography, voice over, creative, etc) there is someone who is posting lots of "different" jobs, but at the end always writes (for the last sentence of the description) " ... I'm writing from a voice device so please disregard any typing errors...: Its a perfectly normal statement, but not when it's WORD FOR WORD exactly the same on every single post, so I'm thinking it is a spamming or "automated: type of post... Have you guys looked into this? Thanks!

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
16 of 17

re: " ... I'm writing from a voice device so please disregard any typing errors...: Its a perfectly normal statement, but not when it's WORD FOR WORD exactly the same on every single post, so I'm thinking it is a spamming or "automated: type of post... Have you guys looked into this? Thanks!"

I'm not concerned about this.

Presumably this is a standard text string that the voice-to-text software appends to the end of messages.

Maybe these job posts are posted by a person or multiple persons who have physical impairments that make it difficult for them to type. Or maybe they're doing it while driving. Who knows.

I suggest judging the job postings on their merits and ignoring this sentence at the end.

17 of 17
Not once has this site worked for me just....dont hold your breath...
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS