🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Speaking language not found in drop down menu
Page options
roth_daniel
Community Member

Speaking language not found in drop down menu

Greetings all,

Hope this is the proper forum. Im new to Upwork and I am currently polishing up my profile.

I speak and write Belize Kriol and would like to add this detail to my profile, however the languge does not show up as a valid language. By extension, I understand Jamacian Patois (to a lesser degree) since they are quite similar. 

Kriol is indeed a language (not a dialect ) and would find it helpful to include this. Publications and other audio/media are available in Belize Kriol. I feel that if it was in the drop down menu, it would stand out more than having a potential client having to read my entire profile to find this out.

The language is spoken country-wide,as well as in the US (more Belizeans live in US than in Belize itself), Nicaragua, Panama and in the Columbian islands off of Nicaragua. 

Looking forward to any feedback.

Thanks in advance

Daniel

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Just write it into your overview.

Are there (m)any jobs that call for that skill?

Edited to add:

Belize.jpg

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
petra_r
Community Member

Just write it into your overview.

Are there (m)any jobs that call for that skill?

Edited to add:

Belize.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply, Petra.

Currently it is in my overview, I just thought it would be more visible like the other languages are.

Regarding the demand, I can't say for certain it is a game-changer, but I do know native speakers of Belize Kriol can often express themselves better, and may feel less intimidated than in English, which usually is their second tongue. 

As being unique and setting yourself apart from the rest is encouraged here,  what better way than to have this as a skill. 

Just a reply to your edit, 

The language may not be a priority as your screenshot points out. But looking deeper, a potential client may see the quality of someone who has adopted to new surroundings, and immersed himself in his new culture as a desireable trait. 

So in my opinion, it makes a huge, although indirect impact of setting myself apart.

Thanks for the feedback, 

Appreciated!

Daniel

@Daniel R wrote:

The language may not be a priority as your screenshot points out. But looking deeper, a potential client may see the quality of someone who has adopted to new surroundings, and immersed himself in his new culture as a desireable trait. 

So in my opinion, it makes a huge, although indirect impact of setting myself apart.

Daniel, I can see where you are coming from.  That said, I think (if I may be so bold to offer an opinion) it will not really make a difference to your profile as such.

It is very hard to see what you are actually selling because your overview is entirely about work that can not be done online and personal things that don't translate into "a product" that can be sold to a client.  Reading your profile, it is a mystery to me what you are offering and that is a big massive problem on a cut-throat overcrowded marketplace such as Upwork.

What kind of jobs do you apply for?

Petra,

Can't thank you enough for the feedback and suggestions.

My inexperience in Upwork is evident as you can tell. I am learning more and more the fine details and you are quite helpful.

Basically I'm looking to get back into the freight brokerage / expiditing field. I would consider data entry as well.

My experience (which I probably could be more precise) included every aspect of of supply chain shipping. Though I cannot refuel aircraft via upwork, I've included it to show my history of technical / mechanical skills which required an attention to detail, which quite often is a clients request. My security reference in the profile was to display a practical example of my  attention to detail. The bilingual reference was to show the desire and ability to learn new things. 

I tend to ramble, would you describe the profile as that? Spare no feelings! Your honest feedback has been appreciated and would welcome any/all suggestions.

So in a nutshell...Freight Logistics and data entry would be the "product". 

Daniel R wrote: Spare no feelings! Your honest feedback has been appreciated and would welcome any/all suggestions.

Completely rewrite your profile. Scrap everything that isn't a selling point (about 90%)

Absolutely exclude everything that can not be sold remotely. Nobody gets a plane refuelled online. Scrap it.

Nobody gives a **bleep** what you are willing to learn or adapt to.

Clients want to know how and why you are going to sort out what they need now.

Nothing else.

Good morning, Petra. Hope you are well.

I will take your advice and revamp the whole profile. I will need to finish some work here first before I can address it, but would drop you a note when it's finished for your preview if you agree.

I know it's not your responsibility to do this, and I don't want to be a thorn in your side, but your assistance has been invaluable to me. 

A lifelong blue collar worker converting to the foreign world of white collar thanks you!

Have a blessed day. 🙂

@Daniel R wrote:

I will take your advice and revamp the whole profile. I will need to finish some work here first before I can address it, but would drop you a note when it's finished for your preview if you agree.

You're welcome and just update this thread when you are done - so others can jump in as well 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths