🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Standard work cycle doubts.
Page options
12c45a34
Community Member

Standard work cycle doubts.

Hello,

I've been contacted by a potential employer who wants me to work for them.He is asking me to start working for him right now, even if the project hasn't been awarded to me. He claims this is not a one time project, but there are no active contracts on my profile either.I would like to make sure this is part of the work cycle, or if it's an attempt to make me work for free.

Thank you

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

The client is trying to get you to work for free.

Be professional. Be polite.

MAYBE the client is hopelessly confused about how things work. If that is the case, he can come here and we can help him understand how to use the Upwork tool.

But for YOU...

No.
You do NOT start work for a client unless there is a contract in place:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

The client is trying to get you to work for free.

Be professional. Be polite.

MAYBE the client is hopelessly confused about how things work. If that is the case, he can come here and we can help him understand how to use the Upwork tool.

But for YOU...

No.
You do NOT start work for a client unless there is a contract in place:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

Thank you.

A few moments after posting this answer, he asked me again to start working in the project, to which I answered that I need a contract to start. After that he said goodbye and didn't send any other message.

I doubt he's confused about the site because he's a user since 2017, 5 stars and 61 hires, but still I never had any contract in my jobs section.

I already blocked the user and reported a message he sent (the only report option I could find. I couldn't find any other report button).

You did the right thing.

Can't get paid without a contract.

For the record, there is a "Flag as inappropriate" link in the top right hand corner of every job posting page.

There is an option to report jobs for "asking for free work."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths