🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Starting the job
Page options
leopardrhonica
Community Member

Starting the job

Hi. I just got my first contract and I am not sure what the next step is.
Will I receive an email with job specifics?
4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Rhonica,

You should always communicate with your clients directly about your tasks and the work that you will need to complete. 
To learn more about getting started on Upwork, check out this Help Article. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "I just got my first contract"

Maybe that is true. Or maybe not.

Let's check:

Upwork -> My Jobs -> My Jobs

Is the contract listed there?
If the answer is no, then you were NOT hired.

If you DO see the contract listed there, then you are correct: You have a contract. You may work on the project.

re: "I am not sure what the next step is."

Once you have verified that you have been officially hired, then the "next step" is to start working.

re: "Will I receive an email with job specifics?"

No.

As the Forum Moderator mentioned, you will talk with the client about what to do next. You goal should be to become like me (if you aren't already), in that you have a deep understanding of the work and you are able to guide a client through the process, no matter what his level of understanding is. If you are just starting out and don't feel as confident as that yet, that's okay. You may need to ask the client questions, or come here and ask us.

The GOOD NEWS for you is that you are in the RIGHT PLACE. The Upwork Community Forum is populated with friendly, helpful, talkative people who can answer your questions.

If you aren't sure about anything, just pop in and ask your question.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Rhonica L wrote:
Hi. I just got my first contract and I am not sure what the next step is.
Will I receive an email with job specifics?

You got this backwards. Before you accept an offer, which creates a contract, you ask the client everything you need to know to start working. Only then you accept. Unclarity can lead to misunderstandings and they can lead to bad outcomes.

It sounds like somebody told you that you are hired, or something like that, but have you accepted an offer? 

(Generally speaking, this is not a forum question. This is entirely between you and your client.)

Whenever I accept a fixed-price contract, I already have ALL OF THE INFORMATION I need, plus all of the files I need, in order to FINISH the contract.

I have that before I click the "Accept" button.

Then, once I click "Accept" and create an official Upwork contract, I am able to do the work and submit it, and get paid for the work automatically, even if I never communicate with the freelancer again.

I realize that this might not work for everybody, but I mention this to provide some perspective.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths