🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Still open for proposals after hiring a freel...
Page options
lucypaints15
Community Member

Still open for proposals after hiring a freelancer

So today I see a job I'd like to submit a proposal for however, it clearly shows that an artist has been hired, and it's obviously just a single item project.

Why isn't the job closed, and how come Upwork would let me spend my credits on a closed proposal? Is this the clients responsibility to "take their request down" or are we as freelancers expected to know better, or what?

10 REPLIES 10
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Many clients leave a job open for various reasons:  the freelancer they hired might not work out, they hired elsewhere and forgot to close the job, they didn't know they should close it.  

I don't submit for jobs that show hires but I recently had a client that I interviewed with come back to me  several months after hiring someone else and hire me for the same job.

Thank you Mary,

You answered part of my question. You would not submit a proposal for that job.

purplepony
Community Member

Lucy, perhaps the Client has purposely left it open to receive Proposals from other potential Freelancers that he/she may be open to contracting with now or in the future.  They may want several examples of work and then select which one they consider to be the best.   They may have meant to close it but haven't yet.  They may not really care if they close it or not.  Sometimes one never knows for sure.

Since it's not technically closed, what do you expect Upwork to do?  As Freelancers we are running our own businesses.  It's up to us to decide which projects to submit Proposals to and which ones not to based on all information that's provided regarding the project, client,...within the Job Posting and accompanying information.     

Thanks Pat,

"What do I expect Upworks to do?"..... Well, I guess maybe have a pop up or something that reminds them "Hey, you hired someone, do you really want to receive more proposals?" And maybe they do! But that's what I was trying to figure out.

Hi Lucy,

Although we don't show reminder pop-ups about closing a job. After hiring a freelancer, the client is shown a screen that asks them if they're done hiring for the job and would like to close it, or if they want to hire more freelancers and keep it open.

Untitled

Hello,

A pop-op window like that would be a great idea!

I have recently been hired by a client, but when I checked the job offer after I finished my job and submitted it, the offer was still open to proposals and no information :"hires" was even visible. During this time about 10 other freelancers put their offert. It was not fair to them, they had to pay for connects and yet had no chances of getting the job from the start.

Hope that Upwork can do something about that.

Thank you.

Anna

Anna S wrote:

Hello,

A pop-op window like that would be a great idea!

I have recently been hired by a client, but when I checked the job offer after I finished my job and submitted it, the offer was still open to proposals and no information :"hires" was even visible. During this time about 10 other freelancers put their offert. It was not fair to them, they had to pay for connects and yet had no chances of getting the job from the start.

Hope that Upwork can do something about that.

Thank you.

Anna

I've experienced that a few times too. It can take more than 24 hours for the job post to show that someone has been hired. And it seems to be happening more often recently. (A new bug?)

Hi Richard, and Anna, 

If ever you come across the same in the future, please file a support ticket so that it can be investigated further. 

~ Avery
Upwork
ania7878
Community Member

Hello Avery,

Thank you for your answer. If something like that happens again, I will file a support ticket. 

Anna

mrmkamranmalik
Community Member

I think there should be a precision for employer during posting a job "Number of freelancer needed" for his job. For instance 2 Freelancer needed for his job. After hiring 2 Freelancers job should be closed automatically. If he want more freelancer then he should reopen his job.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths