🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Struggling with First Job
Page options
mansoorseo001
Community Member

Struggling with First Job

Hello Guys,

I am digital marketer with 11 years of experience in SEO, Google and Facebook Ads.

I have been struggling to get my first work here on Upwork. It's been year on and off I am coming on Upwork to look for projects, Bid but none of them turned on ever.

Am I doing something wrong? Please advise.

5 REPLIES 5
robin_hyman
Community Member

Remove the first line from your profile. I would start with "My goal...." (remove "main"). Clients want to know what you can do for them. Since you have such extensive experience off the platform, have some of those clients/managers give you a review which you can now post on your profile. 

Is that all? Getting testimonials will work?

Mansoor S wrote:

No, there is no guarantee for that.

Mansoor S wrote:

I was just giving some suggestions to improve your chances. Nothing is guaranteed. You have to find what works. 

Mansoor, getting testimonials is just a start. With 11 years experience, it should not be this difficult to find tasks on this forum. You already have what it takes. A couple ideas:

a. You bidding on jobs is important. But you getting invites from clients is probably more important. What are commonly posted jobs in your field? Check if all those keywords show up on your profile in a meaningful way (not just a list). Having a narrative close to job descriptions might help.  

b. What would be your availibility for hourly jobs? Your current settings are not conducive to any hourly jobs. Consider changing it to > than or < than 24 hours, as applicable. You can always decline an invite if you think it is more than what you can deliver. (e.g. a client wants 20 hrs/week but you can do only 8).  

Although there are no gurantees, it is usually a good practise to keep a track of your activities e.g. this week I applied for 6 jobs - 3 in HongKong, 3 in the US. I was interviewed for 1 in Hongkong. But no job offer. (Upwork does this tracking for you under find work >> proposals, but one needs to review it periodically). Soon you will notice a pattern in your applications, interviews, and hiring. I know, this is a little more time investment than you might have imagined. But it will maximize your chances. 

Good luck, it's gonna be all okay.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths