🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Stuck in limbo between two accounts becau...
Page options
661ebc35
Community Member

Stuck in limbo between two accounts because of Google Signin.

I was attempting to create an Upwork account using my preferred email address when I discovered my phone number was already associated with a different account. I realized I had started the process of making this account I'm using now, and at some point had abandoned/forgotten about it.

I really don't check this email anymore and would like to move forward with the other account I was in the process of setting up. No big deal, right? Should be a simple enough fix to just close this account since at that point I hadn't even submitted my profile.

Wrong.

After many, many frustrating attempts at closing this account or at least changing my contact information (removing the associated phone number), I ended up needed to submit my profile so that I could post here for help. This is after browsing this board, not finding the answers to my problems, looking up "how to contact a human," clicking on the Need more support? Contact us button, filling out that form which then, to my complete exasperation, sent me right back here to the community board. Wonderful.

So here's my problem: when I created this account, apparently I decided to sign up using Google Signin. I also did this when setting up my new account. I sure wish I hadn't.

The support page says that to close this account, I should go to Settings > Contact Info, where there should be a handy Close my account link. However, when I click on Contact Info, I am redirected to Password & Security, where it oh-so-helpfully reminds me that I am using Google Signin, and where my only other option is to set up two-factor identification.

Well okay, maybe I can just change my contact info (remove the phone number).

Nope! Contact Info also redirects to Passwords & Security.

Okay, clearly my only option is to disconnect my Google account and try all of this again.

Connected Services also redirects to Passwords & Security. But there's an edit button! Maybe...? Nope! All it does is prompt me to set up a useless password. 

Could a real live human who works at Upwork Support please for the love of god get in touch with me? I promise I would really like to actually use this website one day!

Thank you! Smiley Happy

13 REPLIES 13
JoanneP

Hi Heather,

Could you please send me a PM with the details of the account you're referring to so I can check? Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
6138c325
Community Member

Hi Joanne -

I'm experiencing the same issues that Heather is.  Please close my account.

MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Meghan,

Can you please send me a private message with the email address of the account you want to close?

Cheers,
Mike

Hi there -

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Meghan,

As requested, your account has been closed.

~ Joanne
Upwork
bilgili5
Community Member

Hi Devrim,

Thanks for reaching out. Please know that freelancers are only allowed to have one Upwork account. Creating another freelancer account is a violation of Upwork TOS. I've shared your concern with the team, and one of our agents will reach out and assist you in completing the phone verification process. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
aperrien
Community Member

Help! I'm stuck like this as well. I'm not even sure what my original account might have been; but my phone number is tied to it somehow.

Hi Albert,

It looks like you are referring to the phone verification process. I'll go ahead and request one of our team members to assist you directly via ticket. Thanks!

~ Joanne
Upwork
daf6fb45
Community Member

I am having a similar problem to the original poster.  I created an Upwork account linked to my personal Google account and email.  Meanwhile, I added a professional Google account and professional email.  From Google perspective, these accounts are linked.  I would like to change the email address associated with the Upwork account to my professional email.  I cannot find any way to unlink the Google account or to change to a different Google account using the web site.  If someone from Upwork could contact me to correct this I would appreciate it.  Thanks!

Hi Erika,

Thank you for reaching out to us. You should be able to do this. Please go to Setting > Contact info and select Edit button ( screenshot for reference) and enter the email address you wish to link to your account. Additionally, you can go to Connected Services to disconnect your old Google account and link your new account.  Let us know if you need further assistance. 

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
federer_tiffany
Community Member

I am experiencing the same issue! Can someone lend me a hand? I actually can't identify which email I might have tried to sign up previously with, but it's notifying me that my number is already linked somewhere.

Hi Tiffany,

One of our agents will reach out to you via a support ticket and assist in verifying your phone number. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths