🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Student living and working in France
Page options
4ef2163f
Community Member

Student living and working in France

Hello, 

I'm a student in France who just completed an internship for my master's program. My boss is under the auto-entrepreneur status in France and wishes to pay me through UpWork instead of through bank transfer, which I find strange. He explained that it was to have a receipt of the transaction for his taxes.

My status in France is just a student. I'm not registered as an auto-entrepreneur and I'm wondering if I will have problems when I must declare the money I earned for my internship. Is this going to make things more complicated for me? 

Jordan

8 REPLIES 8
sjbercot
Community Member

With your student visa (VLS-TS or something?) you can usually work up to 964 hours/year. I don't know of any particular restrictions as far as Upwork.

I'm actually on a visa vie privee/familliale but currently not working and just doing my master's. The money my boss would pay me for the internship is less than a thousand euros, and it was only 2 months of work. I'm hoping that this is too small an amount to bother the French government. 

I'm going to demand French nationality soon and I just want everything concerning my taxes to be perfect. 

I'm pretty sure you can work even full time with that visa, so yeah. Personally, I declared everything because we pay VAT on Upwork, so I assumed it was getting reported to someone somewhere and I didn't want trouble later (also getting my citizenship). They're not really sure what to call my income, but at least they know about it!

Hello, this is exactly what I was looking for. By the way I am a student in france, I want too to declare my gains but I don't really know how I should proceed! Which Statut should I make and how to declare them. So if you could tell me how this works I'll be greatfull. Thank you 

Hi Koussori, I was just wondering if you ever found the answer to your question? I'm in the same situation. Thanks

hello, no I haven't yet found an answer.

Sarah B wrote:

I'm pretty sure you can work even full time with that visa, so yeah. Personally, I declared everything because we pay VAT on Upwork, so I assumed it was getting reported to someone somewhere and I didn't want trouble later (also getting my citizenship). They're not really sure what to call my income, but at least they know about it!

The VAT you pay on the upwork fee is owed by upwork on their revenue, not you, so I don't believe they report it drilled down to the single freelancer. 99,5% sure of it. Make that 99,9%.

Hi Sarah, I'm currently on a student visa in France (60% working rights) and would also like to declare everything just to be safe. Could I ask under what statut you declared your UpWork income as and whether you had to also submit supporting documents? Thanks

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths