🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Sudden Loss of Rising Talent Status; Prof...
Page options
kingside
Community Member

Sudden Loss of Rising Talent Status; Profile Completeness

Hi everyone,

I had Rising Talent status yesterday, but this morning Upwork dropped my profile completeness to only 90% because I don't have any linked social media accounts.  Consequently, I lost my Rising Talent status, which, since I'm new to Upwork, was a competitive advantage. 

I'm in the accounting field.  I simply won't link my professional life to Facebook or Twitter; the reasons for this should be self-evident for anyone watching the news.  Interestingly enough, LinkedIn (which makes some sense) isn't even an option.

Any similar experiences?  Any way around this?  

Thanks in advance,

Tommy

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Tommy,

You don't need to link your social account in order to have a 100% complete profile. How you complete your profile is up to you. You may check these combinations of qualifications listed in this article to achieve a 100% complete profile. Thank you!

Untitled

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
yitwail
Community Member

Tommy, Upwork doesn't publicly display any linked social media accounts in the profile to the best of my knowledge, so unless you're concerned that the links will be somehow leaked or stolen, I don't see any downside to providing them. Think about it, the last thing Upwork wants to do is facilitate contacting freelancers outside of Upwork.

Hi John, thank you very much for the feedback!

I've made a very reasonable business decision to not connect my commercial activities with Facebook or Twitter.  It's been my policy since I started my company.  I'm simply confused as to why this makes my profile less complete today than it was just yesterday?  Moreover, if there's no public identification with the social media profiles, what does Upwork get out of requiring the information? 

I'm just trying to understand; thanks again for the info.

Tommy    

Hello Tommy,

You don't need to link your social account in order to have a 100% complete profile. How you complete your profile is up to you. You may check these combinations of qualifications listed in this article to achieve a 100% complete profile. Thank you!

Untitled

Thanks!  This was extremely helpful.  The loss of completeness may have had to do with me deactivating a few tests from my profile.  I took several this morning and the profile is now 100% complete.

I'm not sure why the site said to link social media accounts, but it's fixed now.

Thanks again!

@Tommy S wrote:

I'm not sure why the site said to link social media accounts, but it's fixed now.

Upwork will use those links internal to confirm you are who you say you are, at least in some cases. Since those links won't appear anywhere on your Upwork profile, your safe to add them. And since you new, be aware you can't have ANY links to any 3rd party sites ANYWHERE on your Upwork profile. 

Yes it's dumb they don't do Linked In. I don't do social media, but do use Linked In.

@Pandora H wrote:

Yes it's dumb they don't do Linked In.

Not really. Amazon does not link to eBay either (or accepts an eBay owned payment method, PayPal)

LinkedIn USED to be on there, since LinkedIn started operating its own freelancing services that went out of the window, understandably...

yitwail
Community Member

@Tommy S wrote:

Hi John, thank you very much for the feedback!

I've made a very reasonable business decision to not connect my commercial activities with Facebook or Twitter.  It's been my policy since I started my company.     

I understand that, but if you're doing it for fear of the information being compromised, then I think it's misplaced since as freelancers we entrust Upwork with infomation that's a lot more crucial than social media links.

Learning Paths