🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Sumitted task, more work with no contract
Page options
eliana_valenzuel
Community Member

Sumitted task, more work with no contract

Hello community,

I hope you can elp me with this issue. I have summited a job that for the amount we agree with the client. The contrat still open and, he had given me a new task to do by message, but with not contrat for this new job. He also said, that i´ll be paid in full for each job.

What sould I do?...

1) Sould I continues working with out a new contract?

2) Sould ask for a new contrar?

3) It´s normal that clients ask more more work through Upwork messages?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Eliana V wrote:

Hello Petra,

I like very much your answer, but I have a question.

how do you assure your payment? This client was telling me that he was counting my task for the payment. I stopped doing the tasks he asked and, this morning he finished the contract. He paid in full al my extra tasks. Now I feel like I miss a client because I didn't trust him.

A professional client will never hold it against you that you ask for compensation for your work, he will expect to have to pay you. 

edited - I was in a forgiving mood even after wading through your quasi-english until I saw in your profile that you claim to be a native/bilingual speaker, which you are not - what did the client have issue with again?

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Eliana:

You are talking only about fixed-price contracts.

You do NOT need a new contract for EACH TASK.

I PERSONALLY prefer to use a new contract for each task, for a number of reasons. But that is not required.

You may use a NEW MILESTONE for each new task.

But you MUST have each task FULLY FUNDED before you begin working on that task. You need to see the milestone listed, and you need to see that the FULL AMOUNT of money is funded in escrow before working on the task.

Talking about the task in messages is NOT ENOUGH.

If a client promises that you will be "paid in full for each job" but you do not see the official contracts and official escrow payment when you look at the official Upwork pages, then you must not do any work.

A client's promises in messages do NOT COUNT.

Thank you so mucha for your answer, it was really helpful

Preston, thank you very much for your answer, It really helped me. I like to know how to ask my client to ad more milestones 

petra_r
Community Member

@Eliana V wrote:

Hello community,

I hope you can elp me with this issue. I have summited a job that for the amount we agree with the client. The contrat still open and, he had given me a new task to do by message, but with not contrat for this new job. He also said, that i´ll be paid in full for each job.

What sould I do?...

1) Sould I continues working with out a new contract?

2) Sould ask for a new contrar?

3) It´s normal that clients ask more more work through Upwork messages?

Have you been PAID for the first part of the work?

Is it a fixed rate or hourly contract?

If it is a fixed rate contract, and the first milestone has been released, ask the client to please set up the second milestone for the second task (NO need for a new contract)

If it is hourly, just continue logging time.

Yes, it is perfectly fine for clients to suggest more work, via messages or any other method that suits them. One of my client communicates mainly via Facebook messenger with me.

Hello Petra,

how do you assure your payment? This client was telling me that he was counting my task for the payment. I stopped doing the tasks he asked and, this morning he finished the contract. He paid in full al my extra tasks. Now I feel like I miss a client because I didn't trust him.

@Eliana V wrote:

Hello Petra,

A professional client will never hold it against you that you ask for compensation for your work, he will expect to have to pay you. 

edited - I was in a forgiving mood even after wading through your quasi-english until I saw in your profile that you claim to be a native/bilingual speaker, which you are not - what did the client have issue with again?

Hi All,

A few posts have been edited or removed from this thread, I'd like to ask participants of this thread to be mindful of the Community Guidelines and respectful toward other members of the Community.

~ Bojan
Upwork

@Eliana V wrote:

Hello Petra,

Eliana,

First of all, as Martina says, you are nowhere near bilingual in English. So you should change this in your profile.

Second of all, I don't think you are in the US. You seem still to be in Venezuela.  Lying about one's location is a violation of Upwork's ToS. 

Third of all. I'm glad your client came across and paid you. If he wants to hire you again, he will come back, so don't worry about that.

Above all, you need to read more about how Upwork operates, starting from here:  https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

@Nichola L wrote:

First of all, as Martina says, you are nowhere near bilingual in English. So you should change this in your profile.

Second of all, I don't think you are in the US. You seem still to be in Venezuela.

Argentina. But yeah, not in the USA. Not anywhere near native/bilingual English either.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths