🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Suspicious Client asking for address
Page options
345a0269
Community Member

Suspicious Client asking for address

Hello! I am very new to Upwork so I was excited when I got my first response. The Client wanted me to send my personal email which I did not mind doing. I have multiple emails, so I gave the email I use the least. The client, in the email, asked for my address for a "google verification" and to use google directories using my account. They said they were with a small marketing business. I did not give address information but instead asked for information about the company: the name of the company, when it was founded, what they do, etc. And sent another message saying that I was uncomfortable with such a request. They have not responded to my messages yet but I think I made a good call but I wanted a second opinion. What is this "google verification" for businesses that they speak of? Is it completely made up? They didn't ask for bank info or anything of that sort. I wouldn't know why they want my address and how it could be used maliciously. 

Thanks! 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jordann, 

It sounds a little shady. Here are some Google help articles about account verification, and verifying your/a local business listing. It sounds like the clients want to do the latter, and I would recommend that you do not comply with this request. Clients normally don't need this information and you can share with them your general location if that's a need. But, sharing your personal address is not something you should provide.

I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jordann, 

It sounds a little shady. Here are some Google help articles about account verification, and verifying your/a local business listing. It sounds like the clients want to do the latter, and I would recommend that you do not comply with this request. Clients normally don't need this information and you can share with them your general location if that's a need. But, sharing your personal address is not something you should provide.

I highly recommend that you read up on the "Safety First!" section of the freelancer resources we have compiled, and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for more information about working safely through Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
345a0269
Community Member

Thank you for your advice! I thought it was a bit odd. 

I thought I'd share an example of this elaborate scam since I've been getting them so much and they are just getting better in time. 

**Edited for community guidelines**

Hi Alex,

Thank you for flagging this for us and for helping us keep Upwork a safe and trusted marketplace! Please check our Stay Safe series and learn more on how to work safe online:

If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to use Report Suspicious User Activity feature.

~ Bojan
Upwork
lysis10
Community Member

Jordann S wrote:

Hello! I am very new to Upwork so I was excited when I got my first response. The Client wanted me to send my personal email which I did not mind doing. I have multiple emails, so I gave the email I use the least. The client, in the email, asked for my address for a "google verification" and to use google directories using my account. They said they were with a small marketing business. I did not give address information but instead asked for information about the company: the name of the company, when it was founded, what they do, etc. And sent another message saying that I was uncomfortable with such a request. They have not responded to my messages yet but I think I made a good call but I wanted a second opinion. What is this "google verification" for businesses that they speak of? Is it completely made up? They didn't ask for bank info or anything of that sort. I wouldn't know why they want my address and how it could be used maliciously. 

Thanks! 

It's a scam.  It sounds like this is to set up a fake Google business account with a US address. It's to scam other people. Probably an SEO in India who wants to scam clients by telling them they are located in the US. It's a common Indian SEO scam trick. They will use your address to verify on Google, so when people look up the scammer's business, it shows that it's in the US.

ana_adi
Community Member

Hi, I got the same request today. I did some research and straightaway replied that "Sorry, I cannot give you my address." I believe it's a scam.

Anagha S wrote:

Hi, I got the same request today. I did some research and straightaway replied that "Sorry, I cannot give you my address." I believe it's a scam.

Good call. An Upwork client does not need your address. (The only exception I've ever encountered is occasasionally an NDA requires it in which case I provide it because doing otherwise puts the client in the position of having to hassle with their own legal dept.)

Hi Anagha,

As Phyllis noted, clients generally don't need your address. Moreover, unless you already have a contract with the client, it would be against the TOS for them to request your contact information, which includes your physical address, with them. There are some exceptions, however, and as Phyllis also pointed out, NDA is one of them. I'll also flag the job you're referring to to the team for a review, and they will take appropriate action if necessary.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
a30ace08
Community Member

I got the same message and came to the community to find out if the company was a scam. Thanks for posting this. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths