🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Suspicious NDA
Page options
db38c65d
Community Member

Suspicious NDA

During the interview process for a job, I was asked by the client to sign an NDA that would prevent me from talking about the job with Upwork (explicitly named in the NDA), and the NDA also said I must share any writing I did for the client on all my social media. Unsure if this is common as I am new to Upwork, but seemed odd to me that I would have to sign this as it would prevent me from going to Upwork support if an issue ever arose with payment. Should I be concerned?

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "and the NDA also said I must share any writing I did for the client on all my social media."

That is not an NDA (non-disclosure agreement).

It is a WDA (will disclose agreement).

I don't care if a client wants to hire someone to write stuff and post it on social media. Lots of people do that. It is an entire industry. But that should clearly be identified as what the job is. That isn't something that belongs in an NDA.

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "...but seemed odd to me that I would have to sign this as it would prevent me from going to Upwork support if an issue ever arose with payment. Should I be concerned?"

It is weird.

You should be concerned.

But for what it's worth... you need to manage your contracts without the assistance of Upwork Customer Support. I would recommend planning on never getting help from Upwork Customer Support to resolve an issue where a client doesn't want to pay you. You are better off learning how the tool works and using it on your own.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

It's very strange indeed if they want you to share your writing with everyone EXCEPT Upwork. (But it would be easy to get around this, wouldn't it? You could just send Upwork a link to where the article has been posted.)

In general, when you don't understand something, the first port of call should be to use your words; discuss it with the client, ask them to explain, and if you're not comfortable with the terms, then say so. They can either take out the clauses that you don't agree with, or you can simply walk away and not work with them.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths