🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Suspicious client
Page options
dhazz_
Community Member

Suspicious client

Hi, I 'm new in UPWORK. I received an invitation from a client to answer a Survey, that survey was focused in my nationality and I submitted my proposal, when I sent it, the client started to make questions related to his survey through the chat and at the beginning I thought he wanted to confirm if it was the correct person for his survey so I answered some, and then he said that wanted me to review a YouTube channel (related to the “survey topic”) and I after that he wanted me to provide my comments. I gave a quick look and answered briefly and then he said that he wanted me to review during 2 hours those YouTube videos and then I send my comments in a spread sheet with the link to the videos and my comments.

I told him that I need a contract to continue and start tracking the time I was spending, then he sent me the offer and I accepted. At this point I already was aware that it wasn't a survey, I thought he didn't know exactly how to explain what he needs, and at the end of the day, what I was doing fitted to the budget. During two hours I saw the videos in fast mode to review as much as possible and I sent the wanted spread sheet, then he started to upgraded more, and more, and more his requirements. I did much more that he requested and his budgeted time went over. I told him that his time had expired, and if he had any question, I would answer him, I just wanted him to be satisfied with my participation.

Next, he upgraded his requirement for other much more complex and I told him that he needed to add more time he added the time but then this task becomes urgent. One of the new requirements was to use a Chrome extension, I analyzed the extension and I didn’t find negative feedback and I installed it but when it was started, it requested privileges that included the possibility of delete my YouTube channel comments, videos and others.

Immediately I sent him a message saying that, also I told him that once the survey was concluded I wanted to end the contract and if he wanted something different, he needs a new one where he explains exactly what he needs and only then I would see if I can meet his expectations with my own tools. He finally ended the contract but now my concern is that this experience could let me a negative record in my profile.

I really appreciate your comments on this, thank you in advance.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndreaG

Hi Diana,

We take every report of suspicious or inappropriate activity seriously.  If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to report it. Here's how to send a flag. That said, any effect a contract has on your profile will depend on the client's feedback of their experience working with you, among other criteria included in your Job Success Score calculation. The feedback period is 14 days from the end of a contract. The system is double-blind, which means that feedback won’t be visible until both parties provide it for each other. If only one party leaves feedback, it will be posted after the 14-day period has expired.

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
AndreaG

Hi Diana,

We take every report of suspicious or inappropriate activity seriously.  If you see a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service, we encourage you to report it. Here's how to send a flag. That said, any effect a contract has on your profile will depend on the client's feedback of their experience working with you, among other criteria included in your Job Success Score calculation. The feedback period is 14 days from the end of a contract. The system is double-blind, which means that feedback won’t be visible until both parties provide it for each other. If only one party leaves feedback, it will be posted after the 14-day period has expired.

~Andrea
Upwork
dhazz_
Community Member

Thank you so much for your Answer Andrea, I have flag this publication because it still active.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths