🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Suspicious invite and interview
Page options
amalkoff
Community Member

Suspicious invite and interview

I got a suspicious invitation to be interviewed today and was "interviewed" via Google Hangouts by someone who said he's the CEO of a major construction company (who actually exists) using what must be a spoof gmail account. In the "interview", I was asked for my bank name, which I declined to give. All of it was suspicious. How can I send this info to Upwork? This is my first experience with Upwork and it's not a good one.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Google Hangouts invite = scam

Under new policy, can't interview off-platform anyway.

Of course real clients don't ask about a freelancer's banking information. You already know that.

Click on the "Flag as inappropriate" link button in the top right hand corner of the job post page in order to report.

Since this is literally my first experience with this site, I assumed
there'd be some sort of vetting process with companies. I guess not. If
this is a common thing here, I'll have to take myself off of this site. I
did not give my bank info. And I did report the posting. Thanks.

I'm new and received one as well. Was it an interview with Donald Brooks via Skype?

No, his name is (supposedly) **Edited for Community Guidelines** representing this guy, but
using his name in a Gmail? And using their logo in a letterhead.
**Edited for Community Guidelines**

re: " I assumed there'd be some sort of vetting process with companies. I guess not"

There is no vetting.

Amy M wrote:
Since this is literally my first experience with this site, I assumed
there'd be some sort of vetting process with companies. I guess not. If
this is a common thing here, I'll have to take myself off of this site. I
did not give my bank info. And I did report the posting. Thanks.

This site is perfectly safe if you use it as designed and use common sense (which you did). To make it safer, it is not allowed to communicate outside the platform before hire, which should keep most scammers away if freelancers adhered to it. To know what you can and cannot do, read all the info for newbies. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths