🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Suspicious listing sent to me in email
Page options
clknauss
Community Member

Suspicious listing sent to me in email

Hello, I am new to Upwork and have been reading and learning about the process. I also have been reading about scams and had sent a proposal to a prospective client that immediately seemed suspicious upon making a contact with me. (I did not follow through). 

I'm here because I'm wondering about another listing for a job that I received in an email from Upwork. When I clicked on the listing to look at it, it informed me that only the client could invite specific freelancers to apply for the job. Is this normal/something that is usually done? Or is that another red flag? 

Please be tolerant as I ask questions since I have only been with the site for a few days. 

1 REPLY 1
martina_plaschka
Community Member

That is not suspicious in itself. Clients can make jobs private and only invite the freelancers they want to talk to. It sound like you received an email about a job from an upwork talent scout or whatever they call them. That doesn't mean that the contract is completely legit, though. 

In any case, stay vigilant. If you receive unsolicited invitations from clients, they are probably scams. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths