🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » TRUSTPILOT DAMNING REVIEWS
Page options
caseydobie
Community Member

TRUSTPILOT DAMNING REVIEWS

Hi Everyone.

I've been very excited to be starting out on UpWork and have been really boosted by bits I've read about possibilities and opportunities.

That was until today......... and I went to TrustPilot.

1 Star review and tagged as Bad!

There are nearly 1400 reviews and the vast majority are 1 star, with people mentioning all kinds of reasons why they consider Upwork to be an **Edited for Community Guidelines**  

It's really not pretty and got me thinking wether or not to invest time and energy in trying it.

For those who have some extended experience on here - is it all its cracked up to be?

Are there really opportunities to make a decent living - or is it really just an overcrowded, cut-price marketplace to pick up the occasional pocket money job?

Thanks for your honest opinions.

Casey

9 REPLIES 9
petra_r
Community Member

Casey D wrote:

For those who have some extended experience on here - is it all its cracked up to be?

Are there really opportunities to make a decent living

Yes.

Casey D wrote:

- or is it really just an overcrowded, cut-price marketplace to pick up the occasional pocket money job?

Yes.

It's not unlike every other marketplace.

There are  those who make a great living and those who don't.

On eBay you can buy a $ 50 Cent watch and you can buy a Rolex.

It's a bit like that here.

prestonhunter
Community Member

LOL.

Well, the thing is, there are many things on TrustPilot that have bad reviews.

Fortunately, Upwork is not TrustPilot, and TrustPilot has no control over how things work on Upwork.

Ignore it. It's fake news.

re: "Are there really opportunities to make a decent living - or is it really just an overcrowded, cut-price marketplace to pick up the occasional pocket money job?"

For serious professionals, Upwork provides a great opportunity to make a large amount of money. Feel free to click on the names of frequent Forum participants in order to view their profile pages and see how much money they have earned.

Even people who have relatively little training or formal education can earn good money here if they have the right personality for doing this kind of freelance work, and if they take the time to learn how Upwork works.

But Upwork is the WRONG CHOICE for the overwhelming majority of people who want to earn money. Not because of any problems with Upwork. But because doing remote freelance work is not a good choice for most people.

Casey, as the other gurus have pointed out, YMMV. At least you won't have unrealistic expectations going in. It's certainly possible to make good money at Upwork, but it's also true that the majority of freelancers make very little. As a new freelancer, don't quit your day job and don't put all your eggs in the Upwork basket. Look at it as a hobby for now, learn how succcessful freelancers manage, and do not shell out any money for coaches who claim they can teach you how to succeed.

John K wrote:

Casey, as the other gurus have pointed out, YMMV. At least you won't have unrealistic expectations going in. It's certainly possible to make good money at Upwork, but it's also true that the majority of freelancers make very little. As a new freelancer, don't quit your day job and don't put all your eggs in the Upwork basket. Look at it as a hobby for now, learn how succcessful freelancers manage, and do not shell out any money for coaches who claim they can teach you how to succeed.

To add to John's comment: "but it's also true that the majority of freelancers make very little". This has more to do with the fact that many people who sign up have no experience freelancing and working professionally with clients. They have unrealistic expectations, expecting immediate results and to make lots of money. They're clueless. Most freelancers who do well here have experience in the real world and know how to run their own business, which is as important as having a skill.

And take everything you read on the internet with a healthy grain of salt.

Thanks evertyone for your valuable opinions. Your attitudes have convinced me that it’s worth a shot.

However, Virginia, your comment “...and do not shell out any money for coaches who claim they can teach you how to succeed.”. That really stood out to me.

I was literally about to **Edited for Community Guidelines**

lets see. I still might 🤔

Casey D wrote:

Thanks evertyone for your valuable opinions. Your attitudes have convinced me that it’s worth a shot.

However, Virginia, your comment “...and do not shell out any money for coaches who claim they can teach you how to succeed.”. That really stood out to me.

I was literally about to sign up on The Freelance Effect dot com for a $99 course, teaching you everything you need to know about working on Upwork.

lets see. I still might 🤔

The comment about coaches came from John K., so credit where credit is due.  But he's right - don't throw your money away.

Thanks for pointing that out Virginia. Apologies John. Just getting used to the layout......

purplepony
Community Member

Casey, Upwork is not perfect; but nothing is.  IMO it's the best platform of it's type.  I agree with what Petra, Preston, and John have shared with you.

Something you may wish to consider is that negative reviews regarding any company are populated by disgruntled individuals.  Many are at least the major cause of their own disgruntlement.    

Pat M wrote:

Casey, Upwork is not perfect; but nothing is.  IMO it's the best platform of it's type.  I agree with what Petra, Preston, and John have shared with you.

Something you may wish to consider is that negative reviews regarding any company are populated by disgruntled individuals.  Many are at least the major cause of their own disgruntlement.

That's the understatement of the year.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths