🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tax Exempt Organization - Not Allowed to Pay ...
Page options
ca37cef6
Community Member

Tax Exempt Organization - Not Allowed to Pay Sales Tax

Hi,

I recently signed up and would like to post several jobs on the Upwork platform. I work for a local city government in Texas and we are classified as tax-exempt. Our purchasing department's policies prohibit us from making any purchases that include sales tax. Typically, we handle this by providing a letter showing our tax exempt status and then taxes are withheld from any future purchases. 

Is there a way to do this for my account so that I'm able to make payments? I attempted to use the Contact Us page to ask this question, but I was continually redirected to the homepage automatically. 

3 REPLIES 3
AndreaG

Hi Cameron, thanks for reaching out.

You may be exempt from sales tax if you are a qualified charitable organization, a governmental entity, or you hold a direct pay permit. We'll have one of our agents reach out to you directly via email and if you are exempt from paying sales tax for any of these reasons, please reply to them with the appropriate documentation (an exemption certificate, governmental information letter, or direct pay permit) to us. After receipt of a copy of the appropriate documentation, we will set you up as exempt from sales tax in the appropriate jurisdiction.

Thanks!

~Andrea
Upwork
a154211d
Community Member

Hi Andrea, 

I'm in the same situation, can you please have one of your agents reach out to me? Thanks!

Hi Longy,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths