🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tax Information
Page options
beagouvea
Community Member

Tax Information

Hello I’m 19 and I’m starting at freelance and I’m a not U.S. person and I would like to know if I have to provide this W-8BEN tax information. Also in the field “Legal name of business” I don’t know what to write since I don’t pay any taxes and don’t have any tax return or posses anything that I can declare mine. I have an active proposal and I just want to make sure I’m doing this right.  

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Beatriz,

You'll have access to your Upwork earnings as long as you have completed W-8BEN form, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. You may need to consult a local tax advisor about proper ways to report your Upwork income to your country's tax authorities. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Beatriz,

You'll have access to your Upwork earnings as long as you have completed W-8BEN form, which purpose is to confirm you're not a US taxpayer. You can use your own legal name as it appears in your passport or other official documents. You may need to consult a local tax advisor about proper ways to report your Upwork income to your country's tax authorities. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths