🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Tax Information
Page options
javiercampo
Community Member

Tax Information

Hi, Under the tax information page in the filing status, there are options such as: Individual?Sole Proprietor Single-Member LLC, Partnership, and so on.  I selected the "Other" option, as I am new to this and wasn't sure to select the "Individual..." option, because I am not sure what they mean by it.  Do I need to contact the IRS office for this question, or this fine?  I typed in Entry Level Freelancer and/or Work From Home Employee, is that fine?  I assumed it was a general question.  However, being under "Other", am I required to choose one term, definition, or so on?  I just want to avoid legal issues as best and soon as I can, I only chose to fill it out tonight, since I already submitted a proposal to a client.  Thank you.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes - unless your situation is any more complicated than "I'm a guy who does work on the net for other people" then you want "Individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC"  

If your situation is more complicated than that - go see a tax guy.  I'm not a tax guy, I just do my own taxes.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
wescowley
Community Member

If you haven't done the paperwork to form an LLC or some other formal entity, you're almost certainly an individual.

Thank you for replying, so does that mean that I have to go back and change the "Other" option that I typed in into "Individual/Sole Proprietor..(don't recall what else it said) ending in LLC"?  I say this because this is the first option that is listed, where the words "Individual/Sole Proprietor, up to LLC" are displayed.  Or can I just simply leave it in "Other", where I typed in "Freelancer and/or Work from Home Employee"?

Yes - unless your situation is any more complicated than "I'm a guy who does work on the net for other people" then you want "Individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC"  

If your situation is more complicated than that - go see a tax guy.  I'm not a tax guy, I just do my own taxes.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths