cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax information for a US/non-US person

Jay M Member Since: Jul 10, 2017
1 of 4

I am not a US person per the definition provided here, but I live and work in the US on a visa. The rework jobs will be performed from the US. What tax information should be provided by me in this scenario to get paid?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 4

@Jay M wrote:

I am not a US person per the definition provided here, but I live and work in the US on a visa. The rework jobs will be performed from the US. What tax information should be provided by me in this scenario to get paid?

What kind of visa do you hold? 

If you are living in the U.S., you need to be either a permanent resident or a citizen to work as a freelancer on Upwork. Most other visa holders, including B-1, B-2, F-1, J-1, H-1, H1-B, H-4, or L-2 visas, are not eligible to work on Upwork.

Source

Aurelie P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
3 of 4

Hi,

I am new to Upwork, I am a non-US citizen, but I work on a boat and I am everywhere in the world, including often in the States. I hold a B1B2 visa and I registered my French address on my Upwork profile.

I do pay my taxes in France.

Does this mean that I can only work on the platform when I am in France and not when I am in port in Florida,  USA for tax purposes?

Is there any other way to be able to work even when we are here traveling?

Thank you for your help.

Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
4 of 4

Hi Aurelie,

If you are traveling and are away from your country of residence temporarily, you don’t need to update your location. If it does raise any flags on our end, the team will reach out to you directly.  If however, you are going to be away for an extended period, such as moving someplace, then you should make updates to your account location. Please make sure you have an appropriate visa type or permit to work in a country you are situated in and pay taxes accordingly. You may need to consult with a legal advisor about it.

~ Bojan
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS