🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Taxes for Company Located Overseas
Page options
l_mcquaid
Community Member

Taxes for Company Located Overseas

Hi all, I am wondering how filing taxes changes if you accept work from a company that is located abroad. Does it make taxes more complicated? I'm thinking of accepting a job from a company in the U.K. and want to make sure I am not creating more work for myself down the line.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
JoanneP

Hi Liz,

As a freelancer, you can work for clients who are located abroad. I can see that you have already completed the location verification, which allows you access to jobs that require freelancers to be located in the U.S. Please know that completing the location verification doesn't mean that you can only work for jobs that require a freelancer to be located in the U.S. You can also apply to jobs in your job feed. I see that you have not yet completed your tax information. All freelancers who are U.S persons should file a Form W-9 with Upwork, and you sign electronically by submitting the form. Please check this help article for more inofrmation on how you can omplete the form. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Liz M wrote:

Hi all, I am wondering how filing taxes changes if you accept work from a company that is located abroad. Does it make taxes more complicated? I'm thinking of accepting a job from a company in the U.K. and want to make sure I am not creating more work for myself down the line.

Thanks!

You mean income tax? Income tax depends on physical location, so if you are in the US and doing the work in the US, your income tax is paid in the US. If you would travel to the UK and stay there for e.g. 6 month, you would have to consider if you have the right visa, have a work permit, and that you would have to pay taxes in 2 countries save for the provisions of the relevant double taxation treaties. 

colettelewis
Community Member

Liz, 

As long as you are based in US and pay your taxes in the the US, you can work as a freelancer for anyone or any company in the world. If you plan to stay in another country for any length of time, you would have to check  how this would play out with your destination country and with your local tax office. Any work you get with Upwork is paid in USD.  I have had clients from all over the world, but I am registered in France and pay my taxes in France. 

I very much doubt that anyone would come at you all guns firing if you were to continue with your freelance work while staying in the UK (for example) for just a few weeks with the intention of returning to the US. Whether it is legal or not is probably moot, but there must be thousands of travellers who do it - I don't think there would be enough manpower to track down offenders - if indeed it is an offence.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths