🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Technical questions how to close out a contra...
Page options
e2083c53
Community Member

Technical questions how to close out a contract to get paid

Hello Community,

I'm very new to Upwork and completed a one hour project.   I feel like I have no idea how to technically close the project and get paid.   My client is happy, but I don't want to bother him how to process the invoice.   I guess I expected to see a very very very simple webpage that let's me push a button that confirms my hour, confirms my rate and confirms that the project is done and then confirms that the invoice is sent to the client and then eventally the client confirms and pays the invoice.  I realized a few days ago that I needed to sign into an app and then input the hour of work.   I completed that, but I have absolutely no idea if anything else needs to be done.   Do I mark the project as completed?     

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Technical questions how to close out a contract to get paid"

Closing a contract has nothing to do with getting paid.

I am a freelancer.

I had a one-hour contract.

I logged my time properly.

I will get paid according to the standard Weekly Billing Cycle.

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063698-Weekly-Billing-Cycle

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 9.37.41 AM.png

Whether I close the contract or don't close the contract, it will not have an impact on when I get paid or how much I get paid.

re: "...but I have absolutely no idea if anything else needs to be done."

Nothing needs to be done.

You will get paid automatically.

There is no "approval" step.

The client doesn't need to do anything.

You don't need to do anything at this point.

re: "Do I need to mark the project as completed?"

No.

You logged your hour.

You'll get paid. That's it.

Now... because you ARE done working on the project, you will benefit by having the client close the project. Because you will get FEEDBACK and a REVIEW. That is DIFFERENT from money. If all you care about is getting the money, then there are no further actions to be taken.

But having some positive reviews IS helpful, and most of us like to have contracts CLOSED when they're finished.

So I recommend sending a message to the client:
"Ulysses: Thank you for the opportunity to work on the project. I can work on other tasks if you need me to. But if everything I need to do is done, then you can navigate to the contract listing on your site, click on the Three Dots icon, and close the contract."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths