🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Telegram/'message person here' Scam seems to ...
Page options
46f7f458
Community Member

Telegram/'message person here' Scam seems to follow me wherever I go. I am looking for honest work

Hello everyone, hope you are all doing well here.

So, I joined Upwork to find lots of design jobs for logos, posters, banners, flyers, branding etc. However in the 9 proposals I have sent so far, buying of course the Upwork Connects to be able to be so, have all turned out to be fake.
I seem to have wasted a lot of time, and amounts of money of course, bidding for jobs that one can only assume, were never real in the first place. 

What would be excellent, is if some of you more senior of Upwork people, could give me some advise on how to get this thing all up and going. Once I have done some jobs, and hae gained some reviews, hopfully the work will start to roll in. However with the Telegram or message someone here, or the jobs that arent actually jobs, I seem to be going in circles for the last 2 weeks.

Thanks guys. More than happy to show some of my work as well. I really want this to start picking up a lot.

2 REPLIES 2
AndreaG

Hi Carl,

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you've had so far. We're here to guide you through the exciting world of online work. Let's start with the basics. We've got some super cool Upwork Academy courses to help you get started:

The new starter's guide to being safe and successful on Upwork

- How to create your profile (don't worry, we'll help you look like a superstar)

- Finding work (because we know you're eager to get started)

- Profile Title & Overview (the secret sauce to making a great first impression)

- Building Your Portfolio (show off those mad skills!)

- Submitting Proposals (because landing that dream project is what it's all about)

We're all about helping you shine! We can't wait to see you become successful on Upwork. We hope these tips and resources help you make your Upwork journey a blast!

~Andrea
Upwork
m_terrazas
Community Member

Well, I think the main problem is that your profile is nothing.
The presentation leaves a lot to be desired. You must draw the customer's attention in the first two lines. It's the only thing they will see without opening your profile. Talk to the client, what you can do for him. Don't talk so much about yourself.
You're a logo designer and you charge $70 an hour. How do you think clients will know if you're the person they need if you don't have a portfolio? If you've been doing this for more than 10 years, I assume you'll have enough work to show.
So before you continue spending connections to get nothing, spend a little time creating a solid profile.
Afterwards you can continue spending connections. Nobody is going to free you from that.
You can read these links. They will help you get started and learn about the scams that are circulating here. The TOS are very important:
- https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/To-all-freelancers-looking-for-help/m-p/1230482#M734358

- https://community.upwork.com/t5/Community-Blog/Top-Red-Flags-for-Scams-From-Community-Member-Wes-C/b...

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths