🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: Testimonials
Page options
durr-gail
Community Member

Testimonials

Is it required to have a LinkedIn account to submit a proposal?  Not everyone has one.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Gail,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. The client is required to have a LinkedIn account in order to request a testimonial. This is used to verify the validity of the testimonial.

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
MichaelJ
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Gail,

Thank you for your question. It is not required. During account creation, we ask about a LinkedIn account to automatically fill in some parts of your profile, but this is not required and you can complete those portions of the profile manually.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike-

Thank you for your response.  I was actually wondering about the LinkedIn area on the request for testimonials. I have three clients that I've done work for before joining Upworks and they offered to submit a testimonial.  Only one has a LinkedIn account - I was able to send a request to him once I entered his LinkedIn information.  The other two do not have LinkedIn accounts and because I leave that blank it does not allow me to submit the request. How can they submit a proposal otherwise?

Thank you!

Gail

Hi Gail,

I apologize for the misunderstanding. The client is required to have a LinkedIn account in order to request a testimonial. This is used to verify the validity of the testimonial.

Cheers,
Mike

That is such a shame - I've just done some work for a client but he's not on LinkedIn. Why such a severe restriction?

This is really dissappointing, and unnecessary. Many people don't have linkedIN accounts. And if they are just creating them to then give you this testamonial it is alot of work for them, which is really not meaningful. May I suggest you look at the bigger picture, as there are many socials or other ways. This is not timely or convenient IMO. And it seems similar for many others. Could it be  time to review this policy please?

petra_r
Community Member

Kerry S wrote:

And if they are just creating them to then give you this testamonial it is alot of work for them

Such a testimonial would probably just be rejected anyway as they want the client t have an established profile that lends credibility to the fact that they are a genuine client and business.

I request my client about Testimonials and he gave it but it didn't show in my profile section.

Hi Nila,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

How do we work around clients not having a Linkin account. 
My past employeers and Clients do not and will not have a Linkin account. 

So how can I use their testimonials? 
This isnt very fair to those that do not like or do not want a Linkin account. It also hurts me and others like me when we are trying to get testimonials out there for others to see. 

I am also not allowed to post or ask from some of my high profile clients because of who they are and I have signed NDA's. 

Any help on how I can get testimonials from clients/employeers on here would be great!

Thanks

Molly M wrote:

Any help on how I can get testimonials from clients/employeers on here would be great!

In short... unfortunately, unless they are on linkedIn you can't.

shanev1
Community Member

This is a pretty pathetic situation and completely unnecesary.  We and the client have just been engaged in a legally binding contract through this site.  This site has verified our identies separately before allowing the contract to be entered into.  The site knows the identity of the client.  I can think of zero reason for this requirement except for the possibility that this site is collecting more data than necessary.

a_lipsey
Community Member

Shane V wrote:

This is a pretty pathetic situation and completely unnecesary.  We and the client have just been engaged in a legally binding contract through this site.  This site has verified our identies separately before allowing the contract to be entered into.  The site knows the identity of the client.  I can think of zero reason for this requirement except for the possibility that this site is collecting more data than necessary.

Shane, any client who hires you through this site can leave feedback. Testimonials are for nonUpwork clients so you can build your profile. That is why they must be verified with at least a LinkedIn profile. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths