🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Testing the recharge function of an app?
Page options
a6f94a7a
Community Member

Testing the recharge function of an app?

This is my first posting because I'm not sure if a person is trying to scam me or not. I guess when you're in doubt, it's probably a scam, but I'm hoping someone more experienced with QA testing can help me. I recently (today) signed up to work with a person who said they need an Apple App Tester, and so far they've asked me to download the app, login with the email and password they provided me with, and now want me to unlink my apple ID and put in their virtual card dedicated to app testing for them. It seems fishy but I'm not sure if "testing a recharge function" is a normal part of QA or not?   Can someone please advise?  I feel like an idiot even asking but I'm a newbie trying to break into tech and QA and I don't want to mess up. 

18 REPLIES 18
fengguochuan
Community Member

if only input the info into the Apple store, that's ok, because you can login out.

Also check the job history of the client and the comments he gets.

d86bc41f
Community Member

Hi,

I came across same thing. Could you share what was your experience later? Did you done the testing?

Any updates about this job? I came across the same thing

Yes, upwork out the contract on hold (I can only assume because it seemed weird to them too) and I never got paid for the work I did. It's a tough lesson but as a new person I thought anyone who posted a job on here was safe to work with and they are not. If you come across a very similar post, don't answer it, just keep moving! I'm glad Upwork paused the contract for me tho. I felt a little safer. 

I receive these job offers each day and when I search for job with "mobile app development" in upwork, most of the jobs are from this scammer.

This is a scam for sure and still Upwork is not taking any action against these scam clients.

Dude I just came across this guy as well, he's a total scam! Upwork put my contract on hold as well, and I thank them for that because I felt really iffy the whole time. I ended it just a couple minutes ago, and plan to move toward being more careful. I wish I would've seen this post before! I am a new freelancer, so I guess I should've seen it coming. Did this affect you in the long run?

Good thing i check this i received offer like this im not going to accept the offer Woww... before i accept the offer i check everything first like a investigator. 

tlsikes
Community Member

Ugh, I just went through this last week. I assumed because it was on Upwork, it was legit. The "client" had me try multiple credit cards to purchase gems on an app and the cards kept getting declined. A little bit later, I got the notification that the contract was on hold. I didn't spend a lot of time, but I'm assuming I won't get paid for any of that now. I see all kinds of these job postings, too.

e17cf748
Community Member

I fell for it too. Now my Apple ID is locked. Be careful and stay safe!!

Were you able to get your Apple ID unlocked? I fell for it as well, once the second card was instantly declined I got wary and asked for more info on the legitness of the process, which the guy couldnt give me. I contacted UpWork and Apple on it. So sad that UpWork is allowing all these scams in their system I thought it was a safe place as well all they warn you about is not taking payment outside of their system. Thats seems like nothing compaired to aiding in credit card thieft. 

tlsikes
Community Member

I chatted with an Apple rep through their website. They unlocked my Apple ID and told me it was locked because of this "job." I also got an email about the one charge that did go through; it was reversed by what I assume is the rightful owner of that card. 

FWIW, I do QA work and it's fairly common to use fake credit cards to test functionality of a product. I do it every week for another client. I have a good fake card and a bad fake card. That's why this project didn't initially raise my suspicions.

Did anything happen? I just fell for this and now I feel like the cards are stolen so I am worried I can get in trouble for it?

pgiambalvo
Community Member

I've seen this, too. I think it's a scam.

2546c5e5
Community Member

How did you report it to Upwork? TYA

hubertnoyessie
Community Member

Same for me. My suspission was the can use stolen card to buy gens with. Once the gens are bougth, They may be able to transform that into assets later.

But if an investigation start, Your apple id will be upfront and you will be the only culprit. So I push my research harder and fall on this topics. My answer to them was a firm No. 

Thanks for creating that.

honestpro
Community Member

Hey guys;

I accepted the job with that guy and tought him a lesson. I kept playing with him and logged in his Veve account which had $330 and purchased for him a collectible of $ 130 and then told him to behave himself and find a clean job to do. Hope he shall not repeat it again.

Hi Nabil,

Thank you for your message. Unfortunately, this behavior violates the Upwork TOS and may lead to possible account interruption or even permanent action in the future. Instead, I would suggest you to report the client to us so that the relevant team can review and take appropriate action on the flagged user account. Please check this help article for more information on how to use the flag option to report any inappropriate content. Feel free to reach us if you have any questions. 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi Pradeep;

Thanks for your message and please rest assured I have done exactly as you recommended but that was after spending more than 1 hour of my time on the job. As soon as I relaized there is something wrong, I have informed this client, ended the contract and flagged the job. 

Unfotunately, I have received the next day 2 more invitations for the same type of job which I have flagged and they were removed later by UW. I do not receive any feedback from UW whether when I flag a job what is the action taken which I recommend to take into consideration to encourage users raise their concerns.

Thanks again and I am totally committed to comply with UW terms and conditions and available for any further queries you might have.

Regards;

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths