Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 28

Brandy, you were very lucky to find the gigs so soon (even at rock bottom fees).

However, in your position, even if I were only doing it for a little recreation, my self-esteem would take a little knock at the thought that these clients had possibly only considered me because I was dirt cheap,  and not because I was good. It is my belief that your self-esteem does not need any more knocks . . .

Even if you don't need the money, you should still charge a realistic rate, and I don't mean one that will price you out of the market, but one that will show that you are a serious contender in the writing world. If you continue at $5.00 an hour, you will simply attract people who will suck your talent dry, and claim credit for your work. Don't do it.

ETA: People who write on forums don't necessarily want to be writers. This really is a different "psychology". Who knows why we do it? It is certainly not for money. You could write a good blog about that. Smiley Wink 

However, Upwork forum contributors did not join Upwork for the forum, but to make money at their different skills.

Ace Contributor
Brandy H Member Since: Dec 8, 2016
12 of 28

Thanks. That is wise advice and I'll consider it.

Ace Contributor
13 of 28

Thanks. That is valuable information to consider.

Some public information regarding the genuine money being earned by real independant contracts and the true rate of people earning a living wage (or more, as many have claimed) on this site would be valuable as well.

Community Guru
Kathryn B Member Since: Jul 22, 2015
14 of 28

Sent a pm with resources to consider.  Good luck. Smiley Happy

~I am only here when I can tolerate having my eyes blasted, my privacy treated like a joke, and my temper pushed to it's limit. For all other times, please request alternate contact methods~
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
15 of 28
Check my profile. It's public. And Upwork is only one of my revenue streams. I make decent money here, and could probably increase that significantly if I took on less work through my private business
Ace Contributor
16 of 28

"Upwork is only one of my revenue streams" 

That is probably one of the few honest things that I've had sent to me here.

I've looked at your profile a few times, and you look very successful and professional.

However, I have yet to see a blog/article writer's profile with similar success. I keep looking... 

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 28

@Brandy H wrote:

Brandy I find this comment puzzling and quite - insulting. As far as I can tell, everyone who has replied to your questions has been pretty straight in their answers, and have wanted to help you.

Just as Christy in her field has other outlets, so do most successful bloggers and article writers. So what exactly are you looking for?

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
18 of 28

@Brandy H wrote:

There are many resources around about how to run a successful business. If you have the feeling that most of us are not honest, you should stop reading our comments here in the community forums and focus on those online resources.

It is worthless wasting your time with dishonest people.

And heck, if you're OK earning $5/hour, or even less than that, who are we to patronize you? You are making the best business decisions for yourself. Don't listen to us. We're totally useless.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
19 of 28

@Brandy H wrote:

I've looked at your profile a few times, and you look very successful and professional.

However, I have yet to see a blog/article writer's profile with similar success. I keep looking... 

Define "success."

What is your definition of success? (This is not a question I'm engaging as an impetus for you to answer here...more so it is for further consideration as you move forward in your educational and career trajectories.)

Here's a bit of added psychology maybe...

Because we're on a public forum, and human beings do have an innate need for privacy, have you given thought to the fact that, perhaps, some do not want to publicly share their success?

Many do have income streams outside of Upwork, which is an intelligent diversification. 

Ace Contributor
20 of 28
Now how do I unsolve a thread I accidentally Accepted
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS