🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: The Client didn't close out first week of...
Page options
intrepidrealist
Community Member

The Client didn't close out first week of hourly contract. I only see second week in Overview

This is the first gig for me and my Client.
I finished the work in her budget of $300. She posted as hourly. It looks like we've both missed the fact that she was supposed to approve the first week of work in the billing period. Now, I don't see any way to access the funds. 

Does she need to close out that first week? Can she still do it? I see the hours are accounted for in my Overview. 

What does she need to do?

Thanks!

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "It looks like we've both missed the fact that she was supposed to approve the first week of work in the billing period."

Alicia:

No, that is not how this works.

Clients are not supposed to "approve" anything when you have an hourly contract.

You (the freelancer) log time, and you get paid automatically for that time. The client does not need to do anything.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "It looks like we've both missed the fact that she was supposed to approve the first week of work in the billing period."

Alicia:

No, that is not how this works.

Clients are not supposed to "approve" anything when you have an hourly contract.

You (the freelancer) log time, and you get paid automatically for that time. The client does not need to do anything.

Ah! That's awesome!!

Okay, so we're done with the work and the contact has been closed. So, am I to assume I'll be getting paid on Wednesday for that first week?

re: "So, am I to assume I'll be getting paid on Wednesday for that first week?"

You will get paid automatically for all the time that you logged.

Love it!

Thank you!!

For hourly projects, the Upwork work week ends Sunday night at midnight UK time (not UK summer time).

Ten days later/two Wednesdays later payment is automatically made to the freelancer unless the client has opposed the release of funds for some reason.

If your bank is based in the US, you'll have the money in your account on Thursday, the 11th day after the work week's end.

Just to clarify the 'automatic' payment Preston & Will alluded to, it's automatic if the amount is at least $100. If not, you need to go to https://www.upwork.com/ab/reports/available then click the Get Paid Now button, two Wednesday's from now.

I am saying that freelancers get paid automatically no matter how much they earn. By "getting paid", I mean that the client's credit card is charged and thr money is put into the freelancer's account. That is automatic.

John is referring to a $100 minimum amount that triggers an automatic withdrawal of funds from Upwork to the freelancer's payment withdrawal method, given the right settings and geography.

That is another "automatic" thing that happens on Upwork, but it is a different "automatic" thing from automatically getting paid for work logged with an hourly contract, without the client needing to do anything.

John is quite right about the ability to withdraw your money using a button once it becomes available. So it does not matter at all if the money does not automatically go to your financial account... Because you can click a button to do that, no matter the amount.

Aha! Even Better! Okay, now to find that button...

Hi Alicia, 

You should be able to find the button or the Get Paid button when you go to your Settings page, and click on the Get Paid button on the menu to the left side of the screen. Or when you to your Overview page (Reports > Overview). 

~ Avery
Upwork

Everyone is so helpful here! 
Found the button, got paid, it's already in my account now. Wow!

I really like UpWork! 

Okay everyone I'm still a wee bit confused.

I'm looking at lifetime billing by client and I only see $165 for the first week. Am I waiting until Wednesday for UpWork to show the second week? If this is a yes, then I've wrapped my brain around this whole thing!

The one I cashed out on was a fixed price and it just became available about an hour ago because I think it's now Monday in Europe... Does that make sense.

My brain is starting to hurt a little. LOL!

Hi Alicia, 

It should be showing as Pending on your Overview page (Reports > Overview), and should be made available on Wednesday, 13-March, UTC. 

You may want to refer to the Weekly Billing Cycle for more information about how your earnings are processed in your account. 

For easy reference, here's a chart of how your earnings are processed. 
Weekly Billing Cycle.png

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths