🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » The Freelancer Needs The Ability to Add Miles...
Page options
silverkeys
Community Member

The Freelancer Needs The Ability to Add Milestones to Fixed Priced Projects ASAP

When a project changes as it almost always does and billing needs change the freelancer has no control from their portal to manage those changes.

A client and I recently decided that we needed to split up the final milestone payement into 2 payments.

When I went to do it I found to my surprise there was no way for me to do it. Do you know how inconveint it is for me to ask my client to go and handle billing issues? It is a horrible business practice. They do not have the time. They want to pay me and put me to work, not mess around with UpWork processes.

Add to the fact that the client pays a fee and I pay a fee for the service and it seems absolutely ridiculous that functionality would be taken away from me. It really makes me question using this platform for managing jobs and clients.

4 REPLIES 4
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Yes, Upwork has many usability issues. But management has, to my recollection, made only one significant usability-related change to the Upwork system in the last couple of years.

Their 400 engineers must have better things to do.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Daniel,

We understand your concern, and we appreciate that you are giving us your suggestions on how we can improve the process we currently have. Please be assured that we share this with the team for consideration.

~ Bojan
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

@Daniel H wrote:

A client and I recently decided that we needed to split up the final milestone payement into 2 payments.

When I went to do it I found to my surprise there was no way for me to do it.

Sure there is.

Submit part one of final milestone adjusting the amount to half the funded milestone.

Client approves and sets up the second half of the last milestone funding it with the money still in Escrow. Takes a minute, tops.

Storm in a teapot.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. But billing should be done by the service providor. So I should be able to create and adjust milestones for my client and they can approve from there. They should not have to worry about creating billing items.

Your method works sorta but it is a work around.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths