🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: The client not responding after finished ...
Page options
dejanlicenoski
Community Member

The client not responding after finished half of the job/Closing the job.

Hi there,

I made my first contract with a client 11 days ago. The deal was 10 hours a week for 15$ an hour. Because it was my first client, I didn't realize that I have to start the time session, so I spent about 4 hours without counting the time, after that I have a record of 5 hours and 40 minutes tracking time. I delivered everything he wants, but my job is still open. I mean, I haven't reach the 10 hours limit to complete the job even it is done. I contacted the client via Skype twice more (that is how he communicates), calling him and offering if I can do anything else just to be fair and complete the timing. I didn't recive any respond from him yet. 

Please give me some advice what to do to close the job. I want to be completly open and fair with the client, I don't want to engage the time tracking in vain. As the matter of fact, I don't know if it will count as a completed job since I delivered everything he wanted.

I am sending a screenshot of my work diary, hope it will help to advice me correctly.

Now I have a new client, and have a perfect conversation and relation. Just engaing the time tracking whenever I start with his tasks, and working just fine.

All best, Dejan

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

7 REPLIES 7
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Dejan,

You can close your contract at any time simply by following our steps in this Help Article. When you're hired on an hourly contract always track your time with our Desktop app so that your clients are billed for the time you have worked. 
To learn more about getting started on Upwork, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks Goran,

I am going to read the help article, I am sure it will help me.

All best, Dejan

petra_r
Community Member

Dejan L wrote:

The deal was 10 hours a week for 15$ an hour.

No, it wasn't. The deal was to do the work in **no more than** 10 logged hours. 

Dejan L wrote:

I contacted the client via Skype twice more (that is how he communicates), calling him and offering if I can do anything else just to be fair and complete the timing. I didn't recive any respond from him yet. *

Stop! There s no such thing a "complete the timing"! Do not harass the client. The client doesn't have to give you any more work! The contract isn't for 10 hours, it is for whatever you tracked, UP TO a maximum of 10 hours. You get paid automatically for the hours you tracked. Leave the client alone. The client knows where you are. If the client wanted to communicate with you, they could and they would. 

Yes, I understand now. Don't worry, I wasn't harassing the client, I just asked if I can offer something else, not to complete those "10 hours".

Thanks for your help, Dejan

Dejan L wrote:

Don't worry, I wasn't harassing the client

multiple messages and unsolicited calls in 11 days is "harassing the client".

re: "I just asked if I can offer something else"

Don't do that.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Since you didn't know how things work, you worked 4 hours without using the time tracker. Now you have 2 options: You tell the client that you didn't know how things work, and ask if he will allow you to enter manual time, or you forget about them. 

The first option might not be great for your reputation (in the eyes of this one client), plus manual hours are not protected, so if the client doesn't want to pay, nobody can make him. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths