🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » The client wants me to change the work after ...
Page options
5373dc13
Community Member

The client wants me to change the work after the contract ended

Hi! I need help with my client. I'm in this situation. They started a contract with me for SEO keyword analysis. I did it and send them the analysis way before the due date of the contract, asked them 2 times to check if everything is okay, they said that it was okay, but didn't pay me because they had to show the keyword analysis to their client. The week passed and they didn't contact me to tell me if everything was okay on not. The contact has ended on 14.01. Today 21.01 Upwork approved the payment, and they contacted me to tell me that Upwork should not have paid me. They said that some things should be changed and fixed, and I agreed to review my work, but they keep telling me to change things that we agreed in the beginning how should be done. What to do in this situation. Please review our chat and time my advice. I'm new to Upwork and want to do my best.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "The client wants me to change the work after the contract ended"

LOL.

The contract HAS ENDED.

The client can't change his feedback to you.

You have ALREADY been paid.

You are in the driver's seat. You are in control of what happens next.

FIRST OF ALL: Don't work for free.

Don't let a FORMER client tell you what to do. Don't let a FORMER client threaten you.

But no matter what: You must be polite and communicate in a professional manner.

You should know that a client MAY PAY YOU MORE MONEY using the client-side "Give Bonus" tool, even if the contract is closed.

This is a SAFE way for you to get paid more money from a client without opening a new contract which the client can use to give you feedback.

So one option you have is to tell the client:

"Jeremy: Thank you for your interest in working with me again. I would be happy to help you with this project. If you navigate to the contract listing, you can click on the contract name and use the Give Bonus tool to send me a payment of $50. Then I will be able to provide you with an additional five hours of work. I will wait to see that bonus payment paid before responding to you again. Thank you."

ANOTHER thing that you can do is to click on the client's name in the Messages tool and BLOCK him from communicating with you again.

re: "I need help with my client."

No. That FORMER client needs help from you.

re: "I'm in this situation."

Not really. It is the former client who is in a siutation.

re: "Please review our chat and time my advice."

Upwork is not going to review your chat and offer you advice.
Upwork users answer questions in the Forum are not able to review your chat.

We don't need to review your chat. You explained the situation clearly.

If this client wants your help, he needs to pay you for your time.

It is completely inappropriate for this client to suggest that you should work for free. It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free. I have hired 150 freelancers on Upwork. I would never think of asking a freelancer who worked on one of my previous contracts to do more work without first saying that I want to PAY her for her work.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "The client wants me to change the work after the contract ended"

LOL.

The contract HAS ENDED.

The client can't change his feedback to you.

You have ALREADY been paid.

You are in the driver's seat. You are in control of what happens next.

FIRST OF ALL: Don't work for free.

Don't let a FORMER client tell you what to do. Don't let a FORMER client threaten you.

But no matter what: You must be polite and communicate in a professional manner.

You should know that a client MAY PAY YOU MORE MONEY using the client-side "Give Bonus" tool, even if the contract is closed.

This is a SAFE way for you to get paid more money from a client without opening a new contract which the client can use to give you feedback.

So one option you have is to tell the client:

"Jeremy: Thank you for your interest in working with me again. I would be happy to help you with this project. If you navigate to the contract listing, you can click on the contract name and use the Give Bonus tool to send me a payment of $50. Then I will be able to provide you with an additional five hours of work. I will wait to see that bonus payment paid before responding to you again. Thank you."

ANOTHER thing that you can do is to click on the client's name in the Messages tool and BLOCK him from communicating with you again.

re: "I need help with my client."

No. That FORMER client needs help from you.

re: "I'm in this situation."

Not really. It is the former client who is in a siutation.

re: "Please review our chat and time my advice."

Upwork is not going to review your chat and offer you advice.
Upwork users answer questions in the Forum are not able to review your chat.

We don't need to review your chat. You explained the situation clearly.

If this client wants your help, he needs to pay you for your time.

It is completely inappropriate for this client to suggest that you should work for free. It is a violation of Upwork ToS for a client to ask a freelancer to work for free. I have hired 150 freelancers on Upwork. I would never think of asking a freelancer who worked on one of my previous contracts to do more work without first saying that I want to PAY her for her work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths