🐈
» Forums » New to Upwork » Re: There would be no deliverable to submit
Page options
shepards
Community Member

There would be no deliverable to submit

The web development work I do is generally accomplished directly on an SaaS based framework style system. There are no deliverable. IOW, no files that I would package up into a zip file and pass along to the client. The system is generally Background Technology and much of the work is template based scripts and programs. It's fairly "open" but not really open-source. The problem is, there isn't a way to protect my time and work if I accomplished the tasks and they say nothing was done. Any advice on how to handle this scenario?

Thanks,

Scott

2 REPLIES 2
prestonhunter
Community Member

This is irrelevent.

Freelancers regularly work on Upwork under these conditions without any problem.

I personally do both fixed-price and hourly-contract work like this without any problem.

When I have a contract, the first thing I do is provide clients complete root-level access to the server I am working on. The clients have continual real-time access to all of the work that I'm doing.

When I complete a fixed-price contract, I simply submit a note about what work has been done.

There is no need for a "deliverable" that can be packaged as a single file which can be withheld from a client.

re: "The problem is, there isn't a way to protect my time and work if I accomplished the tasks and they say nothing was done. Any advice on how to handle this scenario?"

If you are working with a client who you don't know - who is new to you - then you need to accept only a small assignment as an initial fixed-price contract. The client needs to demonstrate that she understands fixed-price contracts, and that she can be trusted. No more than about an hour of work should be agreed to as an initial fixed-price contract/milestone. If the client releases payment and demonstrates she can be trusted, then you can work on increasingly larger tasks for the client.

emiguelina
Community Member

Scott S wrote:

The web development work I do is generally accomplished directly on an SaaS based framework style system. There are no deliverable. IOW, no files that I would package up into a zip file and pass along to the client. The system is generally Background Technology and much of the work is template based scripts and programs. It's fairly "open" but not really open-source. The problem is, there isn't a way to protect my time and work if I accomplished the tasks and they say nothing was done. Any advice on how to handle this scenario?

Thanks,

Scott

Been there, done this: I just messaged my client thru milestone with whatever info that I have finished xxx according to xxx, etc. and hit "Submit Work for Payment", it really does not matter if you have something to attached or not, you just have to submit.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths