cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Think I have been scammed out of $90,000, what do I do?

Highlighted
Aakshay K Member Since: May 29, 2017
11 of 13

Thank you for the responses. Live and learn I guess. How can I report this company to upwork at least? So they dont trick other people into not paying on here? 

Essentially they showed me their platform and told me to enter my billing info there. It was the first job I hired for on upwork, and since then Ive always paid here. Its just frustrating now. if I have lost the money, its a very expensive lesson, but I cannot go back obviously.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 13

Here is something to think about:

What if I talked to the developers, and told them some of what you said.

What if the lead developer leaned back and looked shocked for a minute and then said:

"I am disappointed to hear that. We worked very hard on this project. We made sure we wrote up a detailed contract ahead of time. We fulfilled every aspect of that contract, plus quite a bit more, at our own expense. Let me take some time to show you how this works, and how the project owner can continue to use this system, and can continue to expand in the future, using our staff or his own team."

The developers might reject the notion that the client paid all that money for nothing.

Keep in mind that I am on the client's side. I think the developers are totally wrong.

But there are two sides to this, and we have only heard one side.

From a practical, purely economic perspective, the optimal path for the client may involve some level of cooperation with the developers rather than wholesale rejection of the work done thus far.

Such cooperation may involve continued use of a possibly misunderstood framework, renumeration, refunds, migration, source code release, refactoring and other possible approaches.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
13 of 13

@Aakshay K wrote:

Thank you for the responses. Live and learn I guess. How can I report this company to upwork at least? So they dont trick other people into not paying on here? 

Essentially they showed me their platform and told me to enter my billing info there. It was the first job I hired for on upwork, and since then Ive always paid here. Its just frustrating now. if I have lost the money, its a very expensive lesson, but I cannot go back obviously.

If you have proof that they asked you to pay them outside Upwork, you can report them to Upwork. But, bear in mind that by agreeing to do so, you also violated the ToS and may also end up being suspended.

It's good that you're being pragmatic about this. It seems like you've learned some valuable lessons.

(This is the highest amount I've ever seen someone report as being "scammed" out of in the community forums...)